Thread: Refinishing question

Refinishing question

I found an old piece of furniture on a project I own. It looks like a small dresser or side table and it has some nice delicate moldings on it. Unfortunately, it's filthy and covered with some kind of badly decayed contact paper. I originally thought it was junk, but my cheap gene made me turn it over to see how well it was constructed. To my amazement it is a very well built piece, everything corner blocked and all solid wood!

Now comes the question. How do you safely remove contact paper? Also, what is the new best way to remove what looks like maybe a paint finish from an old piece? There are probably many finish layers, but it's hard to tell.

Any advice is appreciated.

Phil

Doesn't anybody have any opinions on removing contact paper???

If you've already tried soap/water and isopropyl alcohol, I'd try mineral spirits or orange oil.

The following chemicals are more aggressive, and might mar the finish (take care to protect yrself first): methylene chloride, acetone

You might try a heat gun. Maybe a hair dryer first. Contact paper is vinyl, so getting a solvent to penetrate is difficult. When it's old it's brittle. If you can get one corner up try squirting a little lacquer thinner between the shelf and paper. Of course the lacquer will destroy the finish beneath the contact paper more than likely.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

Phil's suggestion is a good one. I work with many pressure sensitive materials and the adhesive is quickly compromised by application of heat. Try a hairdryer and then maybe a stripping type heat gun if that doesn't work. The heat will soften the adheasive as well as the old vinyl. Be aware, you CAN scorch. Work on small areas at a time and be patient as it starts to release. A slow peel will net bigger pieces.

Thanks guy,

I'll try the heat. If it comes clean, I'll snap a pic and post it.

Phil

Be careful with the heat though. If the piece is old enough the moldings and such may be glued with hide glue and at about 150 degrees it will tend to release.
    Bill