Thread: #5 stanley

#5 stanley

This thread made reference to #5 Stanleys :
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=103126

I have one of each that was mentioned. I think I am just seeing the tip of the iceberg here, I am in blown away by how much you guys know about these planes.
    I have just started to clean up this pair, you can see one is cleaner than the other. The tote was broken on one so I did not think there was any lost value in repairing it. The second one has a chip off the top but should be OK to use. It is very light wood and I am not sure I can match it. The one with only one pat. date has a broken frog, so I really only have one plane that will come to working order. .
    I thought I would post these photos after reading the thread mentioning them. As a nubie this forum is great. Cheers Ron.
    P1013356.jpg

P1013358.jpg

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't worry a lot about matching the handle if you repair it.

A replacement frog should be easy to find on eBay. Completed listings show some have gone for about $3 +shipping.

Just make sure it is the same as the one you have in the picture and you should be OK.

I would stay away from the lots of frogs, unless you want to become the parts guy or have a plague.

jim

The body with the three patent dates is probably a type 11. That's a good version of the Stanley planes. But even if you fix it up perfect, it won't bring a lot of money - #5 planes are pretty common, even type 11's. It'll make a good user.

Note that the type 11 has a low knob and the other plane has a high knob. some people like the low knobs (I'm one) and others like the high knob. You're going to have your choice!

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Thanks for the info, I will watch e bay, yes I have noticed sets of frogs and dust. I bought them with the idea of using them so they are fixer up ers. Not having used them I am not sure which knob is to my liking. I am shooting to get something in working order by the time the snow goes.
    Cheers Ron.