Thread: Completed Entertainment Center

Completed Entertainment Center

I documented the design and construction of this over in the design forum, but I took some pictures after hooking everything up so I thought I'd start a new thread so the completed pictures aren't buried at the bottom if someone is search for ideas later.

Wiring up the electronics was so much easier than our old entertainment center. I was able to reach everything and just plug it in. Of course there's still a tangle behind the with all the wiring that goes to the wall (power, antenna, 2 satellite TV connections, rear speaker connections, phone, ethernet, subwoofer, and connections for future whole-house audio.) The fact that the bottom of the back is open allowed the excess to slip underneath thought so its somewhat hidden even if you look back there.

We were going to mount the TV on the wall above it, but I'm pretty happy with the way it looks now and there's no need to come up with a way to hide all the cabling to the TV.

Now I can go back to working on my daughter's vanity. And building some kind of storage cabinet for the games, VHS tapes, photo albums, etc that were stored in our old entertainment center. And restoring a couple old machines waiting in the wings. And...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 02-02-2009 at 9:12 AM.

Matt, I agree, no need to hang the TV from the wall when you have a nice cabinet like this. It turned out really good. Wiring is always the problem, and it sounds like you took care of that quite nicely. Thanks for showing it off over here.

Looks like everything is nicely orginized.

The TV looks right at home on top of the entertainment center.

Great job Matt. Thanks for the post.

Very nice, Matt. I would like to make something like that one day.
    Excellent job.
    Thanks for sharing.

Blog Entries
    Matt
    Lookin good. I agree with Jason. No need to put the TV on the wall. I'm sorry but I haven't built the match to this. LOL
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

Nice job, Matt! I have our plasma sitting on the stand just like you've done...works very well.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Blog Entries
    So, tell the truth..... Do you get distracted and "watch" your entertainment center when you're suppose to be watching what's sitting on top of it?

The bevel under the top edges really lighten up the overall feel of the unit. Did you use a thumbnail bit? Nice job.

That really fits the bill, Matt! Nice!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Meyer View Post
    The bevel under the top edges really lighten up the overall feel of the unit. Did you use a thumbnail bit? Nice job.
    Actually I just used a panel raising bit I have and raised it just enough to cut the bevel but not the usual shoulder. The edge that is out is the one that would usually go into the groove on the frame.

Very, very nice Matt. I'm seriously contemplating making a copy of this soon. I've bookmarked both of your threads about this piece. Would you mind building a mission style bedroom set in the near future? That's something else that I need to work on, and I wouldn't mind copying you on that too.
    If I could ever finish working on my shop, maybe I could find the time to start working in my shop.

Very, very nice. I am in the finishing process of something similiar. I really like your design. Well done!!