Thread: Your Opinion on this EC Stearns scraper

Your Opinion on this EC Stearns scraper

Hi there all, I have been looking at getting a Stanley 80 scraper and I came across this EC Stearns one on ebay. It seems like it is in decent condition and a lot nicer than the woodcraft version I looked at the other day for $35.

Link to photos

Not sure why I am asking since I already bought it but what do you guys think of this for $23?

Thanks,
    Ryan
    Attached Images Attached Images

It looks like blade had been cambered. I have not seen that done on a scraper. I think you'll have to join it square again, but who knows. There are certainly others who know more than I about such things. It looks like it will be a fine user, and a pretty good deal for your price.

Scrapers like this are pretty simple tools. They are essentially nothing more than a scraper holder with a card scraper inserted, and as such if you are a user, the brand doesn't matter much. Sure some are prettier than others, but it looks to me like an eminently usable tool in decent condition and at a good price. Make sure there are no burrs on the sole, soften the edges of the sole to prevent gouges in your work when you make the inevitable oops, and sharpen the blade. I personallty keep the blade sharpened straight across and lightly relieve the corners to prevent dig ins, but you are right, it's a matter of personal choice. Nice score.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH