Thread: I want to be Curt Fuller (critique requested)

I want to be Curt Fuller (critique requested)

and Keith Burns and Mike Fusion and Ken and Steve and BW and and and and everybody else. but I have a long ways to go!

I finished these this weekend. I started the vase about 4 months ago but had to wait for it to dry. The other one (what do you call this thing?) I started a couple of weeks ago. The vase ( 8"x5") is box elder finished with Danish Oil, the other one is top to bottom, Box Elder Burl, Bloodwood and tulip wood. On the stemmed piece (7"x3.5"), the stem was originally box elder and shorter, then a spontaneous design change occured. I like the new bottom better, what do you think?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Id say you're well on your way Brian!! Looking good!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Brian, They look good to me also! The figure in the box elder is always a hit! The NE wins me over too, I love a NE!! Keep on plugging along.

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Brian,
    From the looks of those you oughta be happy being yourself. I really like the stemmed piece. Wonderful contrast in colors and the shape flows nicely.

Dave

Brian I would say you did well. I really like the one with the stem. Really well done.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

both of those are beautiful, nice form and good color, especially the one on the left.

A natural edged vase (NE) and a NE goblet. Nicely done Brian. I would say remain Brian Brown. Nicely done!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I'm no expert but these pieces look great to me. Wish I could do that.

Excellent work Brian! Love the wood in both pieces! Great form on the NE vase! The jagged edge makes it look like it is reaching for the sky! The NE goblet is really cool! Love all the curl! Interesting combination of woods but sure seem to work well together! If I was going to suggest anything - it would be next time to turn the stem portion just a little thinner. BUT, that is just a personal preference and in no way reflects that there is anything wrong with the piece just the way it is!

Very nice work! Looking forward to Curt's comments!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I think you're doing just fine being you! But I'll tell you what, I'll give you my bad back, arthritic wrists, elbows, hips, and knees, deaf ears, and fuzzy eyes if you'll give me the 20 or 30 years I've probably got on you.

I like both of those, nothing quite like box elder burl imho!

Both of your pieces are very nice. The vase seems to catch my eye though.

Well Curt, I'll tell you what... I have all of the above, except the bad eyes, and I see the writing on the wall there. But, I'll keep the years, although I don't think it is as many as you think! I do love seeing your work though, and I get a lot of inspiration from it.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Yup, ol' Curt and Keith and Mike are some of the bet turners in the (Saw Mill Creek) world. Everyone should buy at least one of their turnings.

Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

Brian there is nothing wrong with either piece. The vase is my favorite though.

A few years back we had an auction here to raise money for St. Jude. I was fortunate enough to win/buy one of Curt's Bowls which sets proudly in my collection.
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE