Well after a day of Einganearing I have the makings of a system that should do what I need. I borrowed a air velocity meter and used it to evaluate various configurations of my dust collector system. And along with an Amp Probe to measure motor current I found a configuration that with a bit more tweaking should take care of most of my issues. I think I'll go with hooking my 1 1/2 hp DustKop and my 1 1/2 Delta in series, with 8" main trunk line and 6" drops to the machines. By doing this I can put 1100 cfm right at the machine hood, with 5700 ft/min air speed. Right now I am testing using the original Delta bag as the filter resistance, so when I build my filter unit I probably will reduce some of the cfm. I have tuned the prototype system to pull about 3.5 amps (220 volt) on the 3phase DustKop and 14.5 on the 110 Delta motor. I have a little upside capacity on the DuctKop (nameplate amperage is 4.2) but the Delta is pretty much maxed at 14.5. The Delta will pull 18 amps with out a load and the DustKop will pull about 6 amps. I'm trying to run the amperage right up on the high nameplate limit but not go over so I don't damage the motors.
Like I said before the DustKop unit was made for metal grinding dust so I'm not sure how well the cyclone will work for wood dust. The fan is in front of the cyclone which presents problems with wood chunks going thru the fan before the cyclone. I put the delta fan after the cyclone. If I remember correctly with both units running I get about 4000 f/m and 1300 cm right at the unit. My numbers might be a little off, I don't remember the exact numbers right now. But the really good news is that I can see my way to a system with enough air flow and hp to overcome the resistance of a decent filter so I can vent into the shop, and I shouldn't need to exhaust outdoors. Thus ends the "BTU's needed to heat air" problem that I was trying to work out. So tomorrow I start to build the filter system. Since I'm not confident in the DustKop cyclone separating ability, I'm thinking of exhausting the air from the DC into a plenum, with a clean out on the bottom. This should slow the air speed down and let the left over chips/dust settle out before going into the filter. I have a bunch of 3M Filtre furnace filters, couple of 95% industrial air handler filters, and (best of all) two large 2' x 4' powered Heppa .3 micron filters out of a clean room. Each of these filters has a 650 cfm internal fan to move the air through. So tomorrow I'll calculate the plenum size needed so the air speed drops, figure out how to mount the furnace prefilters, then the 95% industrial filters, and then how to get the heppas mounted inside the shop.
I'm also going to look into building a cyclone so I can put it in front of the DustKop fan and eliminate the wood chunks going thru the fan problem, that I see coming.
Seems like a lot of work but I've got about $400 invested and a Oneida system is going to run me $1900 by the time I get it here. And this is a lot more fun that writing a $1900 check.