Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 202627282930

Thread: SMC Collaboration 01: Keepsake Box

Joe,

Glad it showed up in reasonably decent condition. I tried to crate and pad it in such a manner that shipping damage wouldn't occur. The wood movement due to humidity changes is my guess. Keep in mind, I live in near desert condtitions and shipping from some of the eastern wetter areas of the country to some of the arrid areas like mine will promote that type of stuff to occur.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Awesome job on the crate Ken, it was packed extremely well. I agree the wood movement was the cause. Amazing job on the drawer handles as well, don't know why you sweated those out. You have obvious turning skills.

Is Dewey still doing the inlay work? Do you still want a keepsake for the hidden drawer?

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Leigh View Post
    First, three of the bracket feet had come off and were loose in the crate when I opened it
    Need mechanical fastener of some sort
    dowels, screws, nail, preferably unseen

Great looking box!
    Carpe Lignum

I believe I've heard that Dewy (who is in the military) is currently in an "undisclosed location", but I could be wrong about that. I am absolutely still willing to do what I was asked to do, but as you can see from the engraving, I'm "last" in line if folks still want me to put the finish on the piece.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

6. HI everyone. Just signed up. Is this project dead? Did it ever get finished and auctioned/donated etc.?

robert

Last I heard it had stopped and never finished. I for one would like to see it get started again and finished. We took on a monumental task with all the people it need to pass through, but I don't like to give up. Yes, it has taken way longer than expected but we can still finish it. I tried to get into this post a while back and thought it had been locked...glad to see it back. Too many people have already invested time and craftsmanship to let it go to waste...Just my .02

tick, tick, tick ,tick ...........
    Just thought I'd see. anyone know the whereabouts? anyone care anymore?

I try to check in every 6 months or so to watch this thread die..........and I noticed it's no longer a "Sticky" so it shouldn't be too much longer before this project is completely forgotten.

I'll check in again in February 2013........the four year anniversary.........unless of course, the Mayans were right and the world ends on 12/21/2012.......which probably has a better chance of happening than actually getting this box finished...........
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clarkson View Post
    I try to check in every 6 months or so to watch this thread die..........and I noticed it's no longer a "Sticky" so it shouldn't be too much longer before this project is completely forgotten.

I'll check in again in February 2013........the four year anniversary.........unless of course, the Mayans were right and the world ends on 12/21/2012.......which probably has a better chance of happening than actually getting this box finished...........

Steve,

I think we can pretty much call this one "Dead", even you stopped checking in on this, it is a shame since many folks here worked hard to bring this along. At one time I thought about offering my services on this project, in retrospect I am glad I did not, seems the flow of the Creek has changed over time. I no longer hang out on the bank of the Creek, at times I will check in but that fresh smell of Creek water seems to be a distant memory.

Heather
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.

Soooooo, what's happening group? Long time no post.
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

The last post with documented ownership is from two years ago in October. Is it still with Joe or has it passed on?

Not sure Pat, I just wish whoever did have it would just pass it on or return it. I started this whole mess and Id like to have it back if were not going to finish it.
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.