Thread: Laminating Countertops

Laminating Countertops

I know this is a bit off color of the typical discussion around here, but I figure someone here could help point me in the right direction.

It seems that my countertop is delaminating from the substrate in my kitchen over by my oven (I'm guessing the heat is helping the process along). The house is only two years old and I am guessing who ever did the work on these countertops placed the laminate down while the contact cement was premature.

My question is, can I peel up this edge / corner area and try applying new contact cement and re-adhering it to the counter? I have done laminating in the past, but my countertop is a one piece wrap around design and I don't want to do the whole thing over as it would be a big project.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Chris
    Almost 10 years of WWing and something tells me I'm going to stay a Newbie the rest of my life, but still having all kinds of fun doing it.

Yes you can if you can get the counter top up enough to get some glue between the top and the counter. Get glue in the space, spread it around, keep the top up so the glue can dry, reapply the top and roll down to get all air out. (I have some stainless steel flat stock that I saved from old windshield wiper blades and work real good for spreading the glue. don't have to worry about them breaking off under the top when using them)..
    Happy Sawdust
    Dale

I have done this both at home and at the office, but I did not use contact cement the second time around. I did not think that it would be able to dry properly, so I used a bit of epoxy. Both repairs have held up for a couple of years so far without coming lose again.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

You may be able to get it to re-stick with some heat. Use an iron and heat the area up, and press it back down. If there wasn't enough adhesive in the first place that won't help though.

Karl has it right about the heat. Use the iron your wife has to iron clothes, put a towel on top of the laminate and just iron the towel till the glue sticks again. If it doesn't work, the guy didn't use enough glue, and you can put some lacquer thinner in a spray bottle and squirt it under the laminate, it will soften the glue up and it will raise up. Don't pry it up too much or it will break. If you want to just reglue it, put something in between the laminate and top, let it dry and brush some more contact cement on both surfaces, let get dry and roll back down. You can clean up any excess glue with the lacquer thinner.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hines, MD View Post
    I have done this both at home and at the office, but I did not use contact cement the second time around. I did not think that it would be able to dry properly, so I used a bit of epoxy. Both repairs have held up for a couple of years so far without coming lose again. Doc
    +1 for epoxy.

Laquer thinner will loosen present glue. Pay special attention (epoxy and clamp) to the edges.

Thanks for all the great ideas. I think I will try the iron trick for now. This way I can see if it has the proper amount of glue or not. If that doesn't work then I will wait till more of the counter peels up as I don't want to force it and break it and then do a full adhesive repair. Thanks again.

Chris
    Almost 10 years of WWing and something tells me I'm going to stay a Newbie the rest of my life, but still having all kinds of fun doing it.

We do this repair often.
    No we don't get called out to do it, it always happens
    when the client is looking for that little extra in these glum times
    and the question goes like this.
    Here is the check Per, thank you very much, by the way could you take a look at this little problem and maybe offer a suggestion?
    Both of us knowing full and well they are fishing for that last freebie.
    Anyway, epoxy is not the answer as you need a clean surface so you won't have to come back on a free repair.
    Stick with contact, specifically spray contact, as it will coat both sides all the way back. Wait 15 minutes, stick it together and proceed to the bank.
    Note: you are not going to find this stuff at the homecreepo, try a lumberyard or laminate place.

Per
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

Per,

When using this Conbond product do you have to wait till it drys to the tacky touch or do you "spray and lay"? I know of a cabinet shop on my way home, maybe I can buy from them.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris,

10-15 minute wait.

Per
    PS
    It sprays fine, but any over spray cleans up with mineral spirits.
    After you stick it together.

P.
    Last edited by Per Swenson; 02-05-2009 at 2:47 PM.
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence