Thread: Stain and glue joints

Stain and glue joints

I am working on a project that requires 2 different color stains. I would like to stain the components before assembly. Will the stain affect the the effectiveness of my glue joints?
    Thanks,
    Herbert

Assuming you are using regular PVA glue it is very likely it will decrease the effectiveness. It will depend on the glue joint as well. A face joint with stain on it may loose a lot where as a mortise and tenon wouldn't since the real glue surfaces aren't stained.

Even wood that has sat around for a while can decrease the strength of the joint. Freshly prepped surfaces are best.

I am never able to do glue ups well enough to not fine tune them after with light sanding such that I wouldn't even be able to try.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Can you tape the glue lines. Even if a little stain seeps under the tape, the majority of the line will be clean for the glue.

In fact, I like to stain AND topcoat as much as possible prior to assembly. The exception is joints that might require sanding post assembly - like a tabletop.

Why not stain before dimensioning the lumber, and then cut the joints? Or am I too late for that?

Thanks all. I will try to tape. All components are cut and sanded and ready for stain and assembly.

Herb,

If you ever watch Woodworks (David Marks), I think he single-handedly keeps the "Blue Painter's Tape" industry in the black!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

If the stain you are using is an oil based pigment stain, it will affect the strength of a glue joint. If the stain is a dye stain then strength is not affected.

If you want the sharpest deliniation between you different colored stains, stain the board before assembly. Coloring always seeps under masking tape. Use tape to mask the areas where adhesive will be applied.
    Howie.........

I always prefinish my projects. Any glue joints are taped with blue tape. The really nice thing about this process is glue cleanup. I don't worry about squeeze out. Since the surface is finished, the glue wipes up very well with a damp cloth.
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1