Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Easy electrical question

Ok I really can't say for sure that it can't be cord and plug. The NEC requires us to wire a machine /saw according to the manufacturers instructions. I can see no reason not to use locking cord and plug. But....from the owners manual off the manufacturers site.....and I believe this may be because this saw uses the egc in some way to reference the blade stop via its electronics. Could be they dont want anyone tampering with a plug and disabling the egc not including the loss of overcurrent protection.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Veatch View Post
    However, since that will definitely require new plugs, receptacles, and circuit breaker and most likely new 10ga wire, I'm going to suggest that you add a new 30amp circuit instead of replacing the existing 20amp circuit.
    I may not be an electrical genius (and there can certainly be no doubt on that score given these posts!!) but I should have thought of that one myself! Great idea and I do have the space.

Regarding direct wire vs cord you are all correct (in a way). The manual states that you have to direct wire the unit... but when I talked to customer support about another issue and mentioned the cord, they stated that "that configuration is very common and a good way to do it".

So... it may not be "ideal" but is seems to be well within the parameters of what they get concerned about!

Thanks
    George

It doesn't look like the egc has anything to do with the blade brake electronics as the contractor saw in 1.75 hp can be cord and plug. This is one crazy saw I've never seen anything like it.
    Last edited by Roger Frazee; 02-06-2009 at 10:32 PM.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Roger Frazee View Post
    The NEC requires us to wire a machine /saw according to the manufacturers instructions.
    Yes, but when the NEC made this assertion, they were assuming those instructions would be correct. Woodworking tool user manuals are notorious for printing bad information, such as the example you provided, as well as suggesting a 40 amp circuit for a 5 hp saw. There is no electrical, NEC, UL, or other purpose where this is mandated.

You certainly are correct and I won't argue it. 40 amp protection isn't all that uncommon for a 5 hp 230V single phase in a motor application. But I would agree that wiring under article 430 for a table saw probably isn't required nor wanted. I see no reason not to hardwire it either... it is a cabinet saw so I don't think you will be unplugging it and moving it from place to place like a contractor saw...

I don't know whether I should post here or in the other electrical posting going on simultaneously since the two have become somewhat intertwined.

I thought I would mention to all concerned that I have sent and email to Sawstop asking for clarification regarding plug/cord. If I get anything beyond "dont worry about it" I will post here for further edification.

I do want to say thanks to all of you who have taken so much time to respond. Even though my original question re: 30amp was very straight forward, I have actually both enjoyed and learned a lot on the dialog / debate regarding larger motors and electrical code.

I am obvious completely ignorant in this area but I am following along quite well (I think).

Thanks again.
    George

Quote Originally Posted by George Lohnes View Post
    I don't know whether I should post here or in the other electrical posting going on simultaneously since the two have become somewhat intertwined.

I thought I would mention to all concerned that I have sent and email to Sawstop asking for clarification regarding plug/cord. If I get anything beyond "dont worry about it" I will post here for further edification.

I do want to say thanks to all of you who have taken so much time to respond. Even though my original question re: 30amp was very straight forward, I have actually both enjoyed and learned a lot on the dialog / debate regarding larger motors and electrical code.

I am obvious completely ignorant in this area but I am following along quite well (I think).

Thanks again.
    George
    Thank god maybe we can put this to rest....

I started this so I take full blame right or wrong.... see I am capable of admitting I can make mistakes. It will be interesting to see why the manual says no cord and plug...they either have a reason or they just have terrible technical writers for the manuals.

The answer came back loud and clear-- either is acceptable. Although the manual only mentions direct wire... tech services replied in an email that "many of their customers prefer the cord approach and as long as it meets xyz specs, it is perfectly acceptable".

He did mention, and others have stated privately, that for my overhead connection he highly recommends a twist lock connection.

Hopefully this helps those following the thread and those looking at it ages from now!