Thread: Woodcraft wet stone grinder?

Woodcraft wet stone grinder?

Anybody out there have one of these? Anybody out there know someone who has one of these? Anybody out there have any *feedback* on one of these? I know that Keith will probably jump in about the Makita and several others will just tell me to get a Tormek and be done with it. Can't quite swing either, at the moment, but I see the need arising, primarily for jointer knives and chisels. The Woodcraft unit really resembles the Makita, but for the price, I can't help but wonder if the results are close to the Mak? Any info would be greatly appreciated!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

I've had it for about a month. It seems to do a good job, not Tormek good, but good none the less. They now have it on sale this month. My chisles have not been sharper then they are right now.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

John,

I saw it in the new flyer as well, and for the price it might work fine, but that is sort of cheap for a "quality" machine. Woodcraft has a great return policy, so I think you should give it a try and report back. Plus if it sucks, you can take it back. I have a Tormek, but still send my machine knives (8" jointer, 15" planer) out for sharpening, I could buy the jig, but I think the sharpening houses do a better job then I can.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John Weber
    John,

I saw it in the new flyer as well, and for the price it might work fine, but that is sort of cheap for a "quality" machine. Woodcraft has a great return policy, so I think you should give it a try and report back. Plus if it sucks, you can take it back. I have a Tormek, but still send my machine knives (8" jointer, 15" planer) out for sharpening, I could buy the jig, but I think the sharpening houses do a better job then I can.

John
    John,

Which flyer are you talking about? The latest one I have is July's and it does not have that item on sale. I look online and it is not showing a sale price either.

Thanks,
    john

I asked around recently about the same machine. Most of the answers were that the machine was good but the standard tool rest was crap. I bought one yesterday. Even the clerks in the store agreed that the standard tool rest was crap, but I had planned on buying the planer/jointer knife accessorary tool rest anyway. You can use the accessary tool rest for everything and it is much much better that the standard. It took me about two hours to set it up and get used to all the adjustments that had to be made to get the proper angles, etc. There is no instructions, either in the manual for the machine nor the manual (single page) for the planner/jointer tool rest, on using the machine/tool guides. Maybe it is supposed to be intuitive. Once set up it seems, so far, to do a good job.

George

John,

It's the August flyer, the grinder is $79.99 and the planer attachment is $33.25.

John