Thread: Irwin carpenters levels?

Irwin carpenters levels?

I need a good level and aside from Stabila, Irwin is about the only brand of carpenter level Im not leery of. Any recommendations, or experience with Irwin?

Thanks

Dave,

Levels are like squares.
    Either it is or it isn't.
    When you go beyond the level part, you are looking at if it can take a beating. Yea sure i do have 6 stabila's, but so what.
    I also have a cheap empire 24 inch with a magnet that hasn't lied ever.
    The stabilas over time cost me around a grand. and lets not forget the thousands in Hilti lazers lyin around here.
    The fact is, that 14.99 empire reads level and that's all that counts.
    Besides I don't wince when junior kinda just throws it in the truck box.

Per
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

I second the empire level...
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

I made mine Empire also on a 48". I drug a 36" machinist straight edge to the store and if is off.. we are talking maybe .001 as I did not take a feeler gauge with me. For the money and what I use it for.. I'll let the pros buy the stabila's which I almost purchased.

Sarge..

Dave

Here's a simple test for any level and all you need is a stable surface and a pencil. Hold the level against a wall, shelf or some other stable surface. Adjust it until the bubble is centered, without moving it mark the wall at each end of the level with your pencil. Now flip the level end for end and align it with the marks. If the bubble centers again its good, if its off center its not worth purchasing. This test will work for both the horizontal and vertical bubbles.

I have Stabila and American. I like the wood levels for many things, they just feel better too the hand. I tried a Crick, but after sending it back a couple of times I gave it away. Many masons rely on American and they abuse them terribly.

I like the Level in my IPOD Touch.