Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mobile bases...how easy to move?

Mobile bases...how easy to move?

Hi. I have a 14" Grizzly G0555x bandsaw on a Shop Fox mobile base. The casters spin freely but moving the bandsaw, even forwards and backwards, on the level concrete floor still takes a fair amount of effort. I had assumed that it's due to the weight of the saw or the base's small footprint...

But yesterday I was browsing through the shows recorded on my DVR and came across a couple Woodsmith episodes. One did a segment on bandsaw tuneup where the guy effortlessly moved his 14" PM bandsaw. It looked as if he could move the saw by simply blowing on it! Another episode showed another guy moving a PM cabinet saw with almost as much ease. (Though, for all I know, they may have mounted their equipment on air cushions for the show)

To the folks with mobile bases: how easy does your heavy gear roll around the shop? Is the Shop Fox base typical or inferior to others?

2. Mobile bases

I've not had much luck with the one or two Shop Fox bases I've tried. I don't think the overall build is the issue, it is more to do with the cheap wheels with bushings they use.

Buy a set of replacement wheels with bearings and it will be night and day. I move an 800 lb General saw and large outfeed table attached all the time on an HTC mobile base, and it is effortless.
    Steven

Jimmie,

I have a G0555 on a shop fox mobile base and it doesn't move the best either. It moves but the small wheels don't like the small debris on the floor or the expansion cracks in the concret. I built a mobile base for my floor mortiser from plywood, hardwood, and casters from great lakes. The casters were only $6 a piece but do they move nice. The mortiser is about 100lbs heavier than the band saw and it moves so much easier. So I think it is the casters on the shop fox base causing the problem. It is really hard to build a mobile base for a table saw unless you spend time welding and cutting metal. But for the lighter tools I am going to build my own bases for now. I may even sell the shop fox base and make my own. I know some guys have just put casters on the bottom of there band saws.

the best one i've seen so far is the herc-u-lift made by ridgid for their table saws. i've used the delta on most of my stationary tools but it's not the easiest thing to push around and i'm just glad that i don't have to move them more frequently!

My G0513X2 sits on a JET mobile base. I can easily move the saw with one hand (until I hit an expansion joint). The saw does wobble a bit in the mobile base. Eventually, I'll get around to bolting the saw to the base which I think will solve that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    My G0513X2 sits on a JET mobile base. I can easily move the saw with one hand (until I hit an expansion joint). The saw does wobble a bit in the mobile base. Eventually, I'll get around to bolting the saw to the base which I think will solve that problem.
    I'm not sure how your saw is set up, but my SC saw wobbled also. The feet under the corners caused the rocking. I ended up cutting 4 triangles to set the corners of the cabinet on. It sits solid now.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I move my router table on a Shop Fox base without a bit of trouble. I recently put together another mobile base (I forget which brand) that I got from the borg for $10 on clearance. It will eventually support a combo cabinet for outfeed and as a place to use my Kreg Jig.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

I have also been researching mobile bases and besides ease of moving the machine, I'm also concerned with the base not sliding on the floor when you're working with the tool (e.g. when ripping a large piece of lumber on a tablesaw). Do these bases stay put when you want them to?

I use the HTC base on my Rigid 14" saw. It moves with little effort. I also use this base on my 6" joiner, and my planer cart and router table cart.

I am in a 1 car garage shop, so everything is mobile. For the price, these are the best.

For larger casters, the ones from Hartville tool are the best for the money. I put the 3" swivel caster with brake on my rolling shop cart.

Worked so well I used them on my daughers set piece. A 6' x 4' x 6' high bed for "Once Upon A Mattress". This thing weighs several hundred pounds. Built of laminated 2x4's and 3/4" plywood. Needs to be mobile so it can be moved between scenes by junior high kids. Rolls with very little effort.

TimN

Blog Entries
    My G0513X is on a ShopFox and although well within it's rated capacity, I wouldn't want to move it often. The SF parks by lowering two screw down feet so the tool is pretty solid after bolting double 3/4" ply between the SF base and the saw. It works fine for the very little I have to move it. If you have to move your saw daily or even several times a week, buy a very serious base. If you scrimp, you'll be sorry every time you move your saw. JMHO ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I've owned a 20 year old HTC with grey rubber wheels. Newer Delta bases with hard black plastic wheels, and I recently made some bases with Zambus leveling casters. The HTC wheels were terrible. Very had to roll as the grey rubber deformed a lot. The newer Delta bases are much easier to roll. The Zambus are amazing. My 650 lb jointer with Zambus casters rolls by itself on the sloped floor of the garage unless I lock two of the 4 casters. If I lock one, it will rotate and roll.

The casters make a huge difference, and the wheels are a large part of that. The Zambus wheels are a hard black plastic with no bearings, but they have great bearings for swiveling and I think that is part of the reason...joe

I got tired of those cheep ( high priced ) mobile bases so I built my own... it keeps everything alligned and is very easy to move....I used steel tubing and trailer jacks and just remove them when I dont need themhttp://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachme...9&d=1228869503
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Here is how I made the bases for my recent tool purchased. I used the 30lb rated Zambus leveling casters and 1 1/2" by 1 1/2" 1/4" thick angle iron. For the plates that the casters mounted to, I used 3/16" thick steel plates, but if doing it again I'd go with 3/8" thick as I had an issue bending some when the machine dropped a few inches.

Rated from best to worst of any mobility option that I've owned as far as easiest to move and smoothest rolling:
    Zambus casters
    Performax 16-32 casters - Noden Adjust-A-Bench casters (tied)
    Powermatic mobile bases (Welded Frame)
    HTC mobile bases (WF) - Delta mobile base (WF) - tied for 4th place
    Jet mobile base (WF) under my old BS
    Delta universal kit type (wooden rails)
    Craftsman tool chest casters
    Minimax Mobility kit
    Shop Fox HD Universal type

I've got an uninstalled set of LV casters that look much like the Performax casters but I'll have to wait on the cabinet they go under is done before I can report on those.
    Use the fence Luke

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Jensen View Post
    Here is how I made the bases for my recent tool purchased. I used the 30lb rated Zambus leveling casters and 1 1/2" by 1 1/2" 1/4" thick angle iron. For the plates that the casters mounted to, I used 3/16" thick steel plates, but if doing it again I'd go with 3/8" thick as I had an issue bending some when the machine dropped a few inches.

Joe I wieh I had known about your solution when I built mine... it looks just as sturdy and a whole lot easier
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired