Thread: Is Retail Going Full Circle?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Is Retail Going Full Circle?

I've read multiple discussions over the past year lamenting the loss of brick and mortar retail outlets to online competitors. I too am sorry to see very good local shops going belly-up. I like supporting my local Woodcraft, for example. I get the convenience of walking in and grabbing something off the shelf (when they have it) and I don't mind paying a few more dollars for that convenience.

Yet, living in the West, it occurred to me the early pioneers relied heavily on an "online" retailer. Since there were few or no local shops, farmers and ranchers used The Sears and Roebuck Catalogue. This publication was legendary for providing anything rural Americans could want. And it proved handy in the outhouse to boot.

Eventually, as the West was developed, more and more retail shops made the Sears catalogue less necessary. Not long ago, the catalogue became no more. For me, it is now only memories of turning the pages of the Sears "Wishbook" and dreaming of bicycles, skateboards and the newest cool toys.

Now, many online retailers are providing equipment and accessories to hobbyists and small businesses nationwide. Sometimes they have things not locally available. Other times they simply offer very good value.

It seems to me the retail model has gone full circle. Is this such a bad thing?
    Last edited by Pat Germain; 02-08-2009 at 11:24 AM.