Thread: This weekends Cherry Harvest

Talking This weekends Cherry Harvest

Here's some Cherry a couple of friends & I harvested last friday.
    There 10 real nice pieces, 8 of them about 20 to 23" dia. X 3 feet long. & 1 piece about 16" dia. X 3 ft. & 1 piece 25" long X 14" dia. Also got 8 bowl blanks too.
    Here's the smallest piece, 25" long X 14" dia. on my Powermatic. I got it rough shaped & anchor sealed. I'm not sure when I'll get back to Hollow it. (working for a living just takes up way to much of my time)
    The 8 largest ones will be turned on my friends Robust!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great score Joe. Will be looking forward to seeing some finished pieces, in the fullness of time.
    Richard in Wimberley

I absolutely love it. I can't wait to start doing stuff like this. Nice score.

Thats a great score Joe, and it looks like some beautiful wood
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Now thats a chunk o cherry!! I really like the initial form you got going there. Id be on pins about that thing drying, hope it works out for you!! Looking forward to seeing the finished product!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Congrats on all the cherry Joe! Great form so far! Looking forward to seeing the finished results!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Congrats on the cherry haul Joe. That ought to keep ya turn'in a day or two.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kountz View Post
    Now thats a chunk o cherry!! I really like the initial form you got going there. Id be on pins about that thing drying, hope it works out for you!! Looking forward to seeing the finished product!!
    Jim
    I coverved the whole thing with Anchor seal. After the Anchor seal dried I put it in a plastic bag, then I put it a chest freezer until I'm read to hollow it. This will keep it from cracking until I can get back to it.

Joe,

Thanks for sharing the pictures. Its a beautiful thing to see that wood chucked up. Congratulations on the score.
    May all your turnings be smooth,

Brodie Brickey

Blog Entries

Hey, Retirement is 24/7

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Meirhaeghe View Post
    (working for a living just takes up way to much of my time)
    If you think working takes up too much time, try retirement, its 24/7.
    Now I can't figure how I ever found time to go to work.

jim

Wow - those are going to be some huge vessels. I'd love to make some of those.
    One question - how do you keep the blank from cracking as its sits on the lathe before the hollowing? Does covering the whole blank w/ anchorseal keep it whole?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Evans View Post
    Wow - those are going to be some huge vessels. I'd love to make some of those.
    One question - how do you keep the blank from cracking as its sits on the lathe before the hollowing? Does covering the whole blank w/ anchorseal keep it whole?
    Thanks Jim
    Yes I seal the whole piece with anchor seal as soon as I finish the outside shape, top to bottom even where it's held in the chuck. If i stop for a pop or lunch I also cover it in a plastic garbage bag until I get back to it. If It will be overnight or a few days before I can get bacdk to it I will take it off the lathe & put it in a chest freezer I have just for this purpose.
    Cracking with this method is usually never a problem. (about 95 % effective, not 100%)