Thread: Dad's Walnut Tree

Dad's Walnut Tree

Dad had a walnut tree taken down last year and saved some of the wood for me. The guy that took it down for him sawed the trunk into slabs. It was my first time making drawers and I learned a great deal. The sapwood makes for a rustic look and the matching grain on the drawer fronts turned out pretty nice. There are plenty of little errors but this one works just fine for storing block planes and small tools. The next one will be much nicer.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rob Luter; 02-10-2009 at 5:42 AM. Reason: Fixed picture issue (I think!)
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

No picture Rob, something go wrong?
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

That's a really nice case, Rob! And what a perfect way to honor that tree, too.

(I see the picture, Jim...but it's not uploaded to SMC. Perhaps your connection is blocking remotely hosted pictures?)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim, I can't see it either (I'm using IE7). Is there something that needs to be switched on in the settings? I can't seem to find anything.

And this is the address of the picture: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachme...hmentid=109578, which I can't get to either. It just gives me "Invalid Attachment specified".
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Blog Entries
    Nice looking box. No problem seeing the photos form here!
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

That looks very nice. Being able to use the single-board width for the fronts and case really sets it off.
    Mark Patoka
    Stafford, VA

Got the picture now, dont know what happened there.
    Anyway that is one nice looking chest for your planes!! Good proportions, nice joinery and those matching drawer fronts!! Cool story too, now you'll have something nice to remember that old tree by everytime you look in there for a tool.
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Effinger View Post
    Jim, I can't see it either (I'm using IE7). Is there something that needs to be switched on in the settings? I can't seem to find anything.

And this is the address of the picture: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachme...hmentid=109578, which I can't get to either. It just gives me "Invalid Attachment specified".

I botched the first upload. It's fixed now.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    Wow, that looks great. It is quite satisfying making something out of a tree that you have some sort of sentimental attachment to it - in this case a tree from your Dad.

Great work.