Thread: Still Another Router Table Question

Still Another Router Table Question

Maybe this has been addressed, but I haven't come up with a specific answer to the following question.

My router table is lightweight and even though I can lock the casters, it moves when I try to feed longer lengths of stock through it.

I have thought of building one attached to a wall of my shop for stability, but then I lose the capability to move it to accomodate longer pieces.

Does anyone have "the perfect solution" to this problem?

Saw the recent posting about tables and like Keith Outen's suggestion about the Corian.

Do you have wheel-lock casters or total-lock casters? What are the wheels made of (nylon, polyurethane, rubber)?

I made the very boneheaded novice mistake of using wheel-lock nylon casters. Everytime I tried to feed something through the router, the table would first shift on the caster pivot and then slide across the floor. I snagged 4 total-lock polyurethane casters from Peachtree (on special, thanks to the kind bargain-hunter-posters here at the creek). They made all the difference. Then I found the posting that warned of the difference and when to use them. If you are mounted hand-fed tool (router table, bandsaw, etc.) on casters they must be total-lock. If you are mounting a power fed tool on casters they my be either wheel-lock or total-lock; but total-lock was preferrable.

Art, can you make a shelf on the bottom and add a bag of sand to make it heverier
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

I'd recommend Total-lock casters. A little pricey ($20-35) but they lock both the swivel and rolling mechanisms.

The other option would be to use a system like the mobile bases wherein you can drop the wheels down for mobility but when in place it stands on levelers. Might be the cheaper route. No pun intended.
    -==--==--==--==--==--==--==-
    Karlan Talkington

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day,
    that my children may have peace." -- Thomas Paine

Support the Creek! Donate Today!

I don't think better casters would solve the problem 'cause the table is so lightweight. Maybe the bag of sand idea might work---. I will give thatg idea a try.

What are the relative merits of built in versus stand-alone tables? Also, how would one on the extension table of the TS rank relative to the other two ideas?
    (I know Bench Dog makes a cast iron one, but I would probably make my own out of wood.)

Quote Originally Posted by Art Davis View Post
    Maybe this has been addressed, but I haven't come up with a specific answer to the following question.

My router table is lightweight and even though I can lock the casters, it moves when I try to feed longer lengths of stock through it.

I have thought of building one attached to a wall of my shop for stability, but then I lose the capability to move it to accomodate longer pieces.

Does anyone have "the perfect solution" to this problem?

Saw the recent posting about tables and like Keith Outen's suggestion about the Corian.

How about a couple of wedges between the bottom of the cabinet and the ground? Just enough to keep it in one place. Like a doorstop, but for your cabinet.....

-TH

7. Art,

You could always just raise the table up off the casters, 2x4 on edge, maybe with a little hinge you could kick out to move it. I see that done all the time. Or you could raise it with leg levelers.

Quick and simple fix.

Art,

My workbench is on wheels, with no locks. I simply made four small squares of particle board, and used a hole saw in the drill press to drill holes smaller than the wheels. It doesn't move at all. To move, I simply lift one end, kick out the squares and then do the other.

The holes should be sized so that the wheels are touching the squares just before they touch the floor. Cost? Zip.

Rick Potter

We had a similar situation, with lightweight table, and solved it by using a couple of oversized screen door hooks and eyes.

We screwed the eyes into wall studs and hooks on back of the table and problem solved but, still retained portability when needed.

Hey, to both Ricks!

You guys both have interesting solutions.

Will give them a try.

Art