Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Entertainment Center - quartersawn red oak

Entertainment Center - quartersawn red oak

This was my first major woodworking project since deciding to take up the hobby in my basement. I based the design on a project featured in Woodsmith No. 169:

The plans are also available for download here:

http://www.woodsmith.com/plans/wide-screen-tv-cabinet/

------------------------------

It was a great learning experience, and certainly paved the way for more projects to come. A few "firsts" encountered during the project:

- pocket hole joinery
    - splined miter joinery
    - hardwood edging on shelves
    - gluing up a large panel
    - inset doors
    - 35mm cup hinges
    - finishing with Danish Oil / paste wax

Anyway, on to the pics:

Carcass construction / glueup:

Face frame glueup:

Splined mitered corner blocks:

Pocket-hole joined base:

Raised panel door construction:

Top glueup:

Complete!

Thanks for looking!

Very nice! Personally, I think yours is a lot nicer than the original.

good all the way, from design to finish
    congrads on getting it done

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Very nice! Personally, I think yours is a lot nicer than the original.
    I agree with Matt. That QS oak is some beautiful wood.....
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Joe, great first 'major' project! Your focus on the finer details really shows. I like how you centered the grain in the door panels. Nice touch. Thanks for showing it off.

Very nice. Great looking finish.

First major project?!? Really? Where is all the glue squeeze out? Where are the poorly fitting miters? I am not sure I believe you

Great 1st project. I too like yours more then the original. Nice joinery also. I too suspect the 1st project :-) especially the splined miters. Just joking. Great Job and enjoyed the pics.

I posted in the finish section on this project also but just wanted to add that 1/4 sawn red oak is a very under appreciated wood.

I have a library and a clothes hamper that are made from it and I like it a lot.

It has the added bonus of machining great because of the 1/4 sawn grain. Good choice.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

WOW!! Hard to believe this is a first project. Nice choice on the wood also. Not easy to find 1/4 sawn Red Oak. It's also not often I see a fish tank in the wood shop. Bet they don't complain about the noise.

Thumbs up

Excellent job with that piece, and great timing for the pics. I'm researching entertainment centers right now in anticipation of a spring project. Thanks!
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Thanks for all of the comments!

Quote Originally Posted by Salem Ganzhorn View Post
    First major project?!? Really? Where is all the glue squeeze out? Where are the poorly fitting miters? I am not sure I believe you
    To practice/prepare for this project, I built this fish tank cabinet, and you can find plenty of glue sqeezeout, poorly fitting miters, and a blotchy finish here.

With the entertainment center, I just took my time (started the project in October), and made sure I had the right tools for each step. There were a few mistakes during the process, but overall I feel pretty lucky with how it turned out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilkins View Post
    Nice choice on the wood also. Not easy to find 1/4 sawn Red Oak. It's also not often I see a fish tank in the wood shop. Bet they don't complain about the noise.
    I can't seem to find a good hardwood supplier in my area, so I ordered all of the wood from the Hardwood Store of North Carolina. I was very happy with the selection and quality of the stock. And I found the shipping to be fairly reasonable. I will definitely be ordering from them again in the future:

http://www.hardwoodstore.com/
    Last edited by Joe Aliperti; 02-11-2009 at 10:14 AM.