Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: atb-r saw blade recomdation?

atb-r saw blade recomdation?

I'm in the need to bye a 10'' saw blade that makes a flat bottom cut. full kerf or 1/8 kerf however u want to say it. i want to use this blade for cutting tennons and for cuttiing slots for splines in boxes and frames. i've looked at freud so far, the 50t abt-r combination blade. so what do my fellow creekers recomend?

Ridge Carbide TS2000 has the atb-r config you are looking for and I might add it is a fantastic blade. Cuts as nice as my WWII, in some instances maybe even better.

And to think I get to live only 20 minutes away from Forrest and Ridge... gotta be some good in NJ for woodworkers!

If you need a flat bottom go with a FTG grind. It may not be as common as ATB, but it's still available.

Tony Joyce

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Joyce View Post
    If you need a flat bottom go with a FTG grind. It may not be as common as ATB, but it's still available.
    FTG is fine for ripping, but generally crosscuts poorly.

Infinity also has good ATB+R blades.

But an ATB will not make a flat bottom, correct?

To get a flat bottom you have to have an FTG, correct?

Hey Bill, long time.

If you want a true flat bottom you will need to use a rip blade [FTG]. An ATB blade will give you a close to flat bottom but it won't be a true flat bottom.
    Last edited by Leo Graywacz; 02-10-2009 at 8:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Graywacz View Post
    Hey Bill, long time.

If you want a true flat bottom you will need to use a rip blade. An ATB blade will give you a close to flat bottom but it won't be a true flat bottom.
    How are things going ......

I thought that was right, Brett stated he wanted a flat bottom but also stated he wanted an ABT-R which he couldn't have with that ABT..

Going good Bill. Just a little slow right now because of the economy. The phone has been ringing more lately, 3 calls today. More than in the last 2 months.

The ATB-r blade has 4 pointed teeth, alternating and then one flat ground tooth. You will get a mostly square kerf with it but the points on the alternating bevel teeth you will get slight digs on the outer part of the kerf. Usually about .006"

Forrest has a "special" WW-II grind that gives a flat bottom. It is designed for finger/box joints and such. It isn't cheap at $125, however (10" size).

Scroll to the bottom here: http://www.forrestblades.com/woodworker_2.htm
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

If you're cutting the cheeks of tenons, you need a rip blade which has a flat tooth grind.

You should be able to get an industrial blade for about $60.

The above blade should also cut slots for splines just fine.

Regards, Rod.

The -R is a raker tooth every so often that cleans out the cut to a flat bottom.

It should give fine service for a slot cutting blade and I have heard nothing bad about Ridge carbide but haven't personally used any.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Quote Originally Posted by brett gallmeyer View Post
    I'm in the need to bye a 10'' saw blade that makes a flat bottom cut. full kerf or 1/8 kerf however u want to say it. i want to use this blade for cutting tennons and for cuttiing slots for splines in boxes and frames. i've looked at freud so far, the 50t abt-r combination blade. so what do my fellow creekers recomend?
    Brett,

If you opt for a Freud blade be sure you get either the LU84M011 (Silver I.C.E. Coated) or the LU84R011 (PermaSHIELD Coated). These are the full kerf (0.126") with ATB-R grind.
    Charles M
    Freud America, Inc.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by brett gallmeyer View Post
    Look closely at the specifications for the Freud Blade., I have an LU82 and it cuts like a dream. The only problem is the ATB teeth are about .020" taller than the raker teeth so it leaves a ridge in the corner.

The ridge is pretty easy to remove with a sharp chisel, but it is an extra step.

A ripping blade works fine for the cheek cuts on tenons as it is more of a rip cut than a cross cut.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Flat top (FTG) is the only true flat grind. An ATB/R is flatter than an ATB, but still leaves slight "bat ears" because the ATB tips protrude slight above the flat raker.

FTG:

Freud LM72, Infinity 010-024, DeWalt/Delta 7642 or 7124 are excellent 24T FTG rippers

ATB/R:

Freud LU84, Infinity Combomax, Tenryu RS25550 are excellent ATB/R 50T combo blades
    Last edited by scott spencer; 02-11-2009 at 9:30 AM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Bat ears -- What a great way to describe it.