Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mirror

Devon, It may help if you can add your machine type and power to your signature line. Sometimes specific machines/power will produce different or more specific answers from those with the same equipment.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

ok i just did it i still have had no luck i ran high power and high speed and cant break through the mirror its driving me nuts
    epilog legendEXT 120watts 36x24, corel x4, ps cs3, photograv 2.11

You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet.

What do you mean by "lose the depth"?
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

ok maybe i used the wrong word ...................um............ well its a picture of my kids i used photograv on light cherry wood to engrave and use 50 speed and 75 power and i am on pass 3 and just now got through some of the mirror
    Attached Images Attached Images

You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet.

and to answer the question maybe i meant its demintion or um i dont know it just looks horrible

Quote Originally Posted by Devon Jones View Post
    and to answer the question maybe i meant its demintion or um i dont know it just looks horrible
    Devon, I use a much higher power....I go around 100p and 50s.....sometimes it frosts the glass a bit, but if you use black paint, alot of times you can't tell.

I think there is also a difference between not breaking through the mirror backing (speed/power issue) and having it look horrible (pre-engraving photo processig issue).
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

so on the photo that i have seen posted on here that look great. (including yours) is everything is a different shade. meaning some gold ,some throught the mirror, some black and whatever else colors i see is that what you are coming up with. its not that i have to see it all in detail but the paint helps? did that make sense?

You must be either blind or lying about mine......but that's OK, I'll take any compliment I can get!

If you're talking about different colors......what you need to do is only send part of the picture to the laser.....ie. just the shirts......then paint that part, then engrave the next part.....ie. the faces. On a photo, that's going to be VERY complicated......you can do that with graphics (like a logo).....or text. You could first engrave text, then paint say blue, then engrave the border and paint say yellow, then engrave the photo and paint black.

And yes......sometimes it doesn't look good right out of the laser, but after you paint it, then the details really jump out.
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

thank you

so one last thing that im still (yes still) confused about. am i going through all of the backing just some is deeper into the glass part or does the backing also help with the picture?

The backing does help with the picture......but for the most part, you have to go all the way through the backing. If you go too hard though, you will frost the glass, and then it might not look as good. That's where you have to practice, like Tim said.

i just spray painted two of my test runs and while they still both look like trash maybe it will help understand how lame i am at doing this.

when it dries i will post prob tomorrow am............ cali time

Devon, like I said before......it might not be the laser speed/power that you're using, but rather how you are processing the picture (ie. in photograv) before you engrave. If you got through the backing OK, then work on the actual picture.

Maybe you should post your cdr with the picture after it has been run through photograv and someone with more experience can evaluate it for you.

As a starting point on mirrors I use:

For Photos - 27/100/400
    For Graphics - 30/100/400

With your 120w you may be looking at 100/1/400 Actually I wouldn't know where to start for your settings. I know there are some mathematicians here that could do the calculations.

To answer an earlier question - No I did not use PhotoGrav. The dithering functions of the Epilog driver are fantastic.
    Tim
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

ok tim so then do you just resize your photo for the size of the mirror and run it? or do you change anythign on the photo at all? like gold method or turn to an 8bit gs? thank you everyone for the help

Quote Originally Posted by Devon Jones View Post
    do you just resize your photo for the size of the mirror and run it? or do you change anythign on the photo at all? like gold method or turn to an 8bit gs? thank you everyone for the help
    Devon,

The single biggest leap I made with this was after a suggestion by Dan Hintz and that was to match the dpi of the picture with that of the laser.

I load the pic into CorelPhoto and Crop to where I wanted it.

I Resample to 254DPI (my lasers default) and Save.

I Resample again to the Width and Height I want.

From here it depends on the pic a bit as I sometimes use the Gold method and sometimes trial and error until the pic looks about right.

If not using the Gold method, I Grayscale, maybe ligthen, darken or Unsharpen.

Then Mode to B&W and try all 3 algorithms, Jarvis, Stucki and Floyd to see which one gives the least amount of wide open white spaces and the most even distribution of dots.

My stuff is satrting to look acceptable thanks to all the suggestions from this group.
    Dave J
    Forums: Where all too often, logic is the first casualty.