Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: New Shop Progress **Pics**

New Shop Progress **Pics**

Hello Everyone started my new shop 7/3/04 My shop is not a large one but its better than the one car garage that I was in. I was running out of room and could only use one tool at a time. it was taking the fun out of woodworking. The wife told me to build a shop and the place I have to build it limits me to a 20x24 shop.Here are a few days work. The 1st pic is the location I plan to use. I pland on leveling the lot myself TOO MUCH DIRT to move so I called in some help 2nd pic.3rd pic is me doing some final prep moving dirt to level it a little more.I have the concrete pilings poured and Im seting the floor joists today.Well break time is over got to get back to work!
    Jim

Last edited by Jim Ketron; 07-07-2004 at 10:37 PM.

Gee, I'd love to see what you would call "a LOT of help"! Ah yes, nothing like the right tool(s) for the right job! Keep those progress pics coming!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    You Go Jim,

Tell us about the sight. Is that a retaining wall to hold back the hillside?? Interesting. That is a respectable shop size but never big enough congrats,
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Jim, re your statement that: "I called in some help". It looks like you called in a whole lot of help. There is no way that I can get something that big into the spot that I am building my workshop.

I hope you are having fun. Are you?

Hmm, Festool doesn't make backhoes and quads, do they?

Nice red clay you've got there, Jim! Any drainage problems? should be a great site for the shop. Tell us more about your plans? What kind of access? What sort of doors, what style of shop (roof?)? ?????
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Howell
    You Go Jim,

Tell us about the sight. Is that a retaining wall to hold back the hillside?? Interesting. That is a respectable shop size but never big enough congrats,
    Hello Tyler
    The spot is where the kids playground was. I built the retaining wall 8 yrs ago so the kids would have a more level spot to play in the back yard. They are older now and never use it anymore, so thats were I decided to put the new shop!
    The wall is three blocks high and filled solid to the footings.
    boy its hot today I have had to take several breaks
    well breaktime is over back at it!
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla
    Hmm, Festool doesn't make backhoes and quads, do they?

Nice red clay you've got there, Jim! Any drainage problems? should be a great site for the shop. Tell us more about your plans? What kind of access? What sort of doors, what style of shop (roof?)? ?????
    Hello Chris
    That clay packs so tight the water just runs right off!
    It will have a 8' roll up garage door with a steel side door on the side that the front bucket of the backhoe was on
    I think I will put rafters on to save some room in the middle of the shop they will have one brace in the middle about half way up the rafter should give me about 10' hight in the middle. Im using 8' walls on the sides. The windows, I will have two facing south, two facing west the doors are on the east side and I will not have much room for a window there. the north side has a bunch of trees and a bank on it I will not get much light from it so no windows on the north.
    Thanks
    Jim

Sounds good...electrical? plumbing? more, more, more! We are insatiable for new shops...we want to help you design it!

Any plans for a wood floor? It'll go easier on your legs over time....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Jim,

Congrats on the beginnings of a new dedicated shop.!!!! I know you are excited and I'm excited for ya.!!! May everything go smoothly and as you had hoped......even under budget.! Wait....is that possible? Under budget? Nah! Can't ever happen! or can it.!!!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla
    Sounds good...electrical? plumbing? more, more, more! We are insatiable for new shops...we want to help you design it!

Any plans for a wood floor? It'll go easier on your legs over time....
    I plan on runing electrical from the house and a sub pannel in the shop no plumbing Its not far from the house and it will take up valuable space that I need.
    Yes a wood floor hope to have the joists set and get some insulation and the ply on tonight!
    Jim

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow
    Jim, re your statement that: "I called in some help". It looks like you called in a whole lot of help. There is no way that I can get something that big into the spot that I am building my workshop.

I hope you are having fun. Are you?
    Frank
    Yes I Love to do projects like this! I just love to build things of all sorts wood or metal.(but it is awfull hot today)
    Jim

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ketron
    Hello Tyler
    The spot is where the kids playground was. I built the retaining wall 8 yrs ago so the kids would have a more level spot to play in the back yard. They are older now and never use it anymore, so thats were I decided to put the new shop!
    The wall is three blocks high and filled solid to the footings.
    boy its hot today I have had to take several breaks
    well breaktime is over back at it!
    Jim
    Good planning Jim you knew that was shop space all along! You sly devil use the kids as an excuse Pace yourself now, lots of water.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Update shop progress

I got the floor joists set and now to add a few blocks for a little extra support and some flashing on the concrete and blocks.
    Im going to put plastic on the bottom of the joists and then 19r insulation, hope to get My plywood and studs tomorrow and get some of them up.
    Jim

Last edited by Jim Ketron; 07-07-2004 at 10:40 PM.

Whoa, that's a lot of work for one day in the hot Virginia sun!! I would've faded hours ago. You must really want that shop!!!

Small tip

Jim looking very well Small thing but I did this on my cabin a few years ago: I used Exterior grade ply 3/4 inch for the floor sheathing. Costs a little more than conventional CDX or others but good insurance against the elements while you are building and not wanting to tarp the whole deck each night. Also, plan ahead on your wiring. Now would be a good time to fish wires underneath while you still have access. I also insulated and sealed my platform underneath as it was a little higher than yours and exposed. Looking great!! I envy you. Building a SHOP is EXCITING!! Keep us advised!! Jerry