Thread: Stanley #5 restoration

Stanley #5 restoration

Recently acquired a Stanley #5 from the Bay. The plane has got rust and will need some major cleaning. I have seen some on-line articles on this topic, I was wondering if some of you can share some personal tips and tricks you have used to clean rust. I have read about the electrolysis option but am reluctant to try it due to the fear that it may erode some of the useable iron/steel. Any advice on a way to remove rust on a Stanley #5 is appreciated.
    I would post pictures but don't own a digital camera yet

Zahid
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

Zahid,

Although I haven't tried electrolysis I have read there is no chance to "over-cook" and remove good metal as long as you do the process correctly. But, if you are looking for another way, I'll offer that I regularly use single edge razor blades, wire brushes, abrasive blocks and abrasive pads.

I've used razor blades to remove rust off of cast iron machine tables, handsaw blades, planes, etc. Works great on any flat surface. Change them often as they dull quickly. Hold them at an angle of about 45 degrees to the surface. I usually try to scrape in one direction, usually parallel with the longest edge.

For areas that are not flat, are small, or are in tight areas, I use all sizes of wire brushes and the abrasive blocks from Klingspor. The blocks are abrasive all the way through so you can shape them if needed and they continue to sand effectively. The are made in course, medium and fine grit. I've also used the abrasive pads (by 3M I think?).

I also use 100 grit open coat sand paper over plate glass as a lapping plate using WD-40 as a lubricant. Over the weekend I lapped the bottom and sides of an old Stanley 4 1/2. Very effective, though you need be aware that it will make the cast iron shine like new. This is not something you would want to do to a tool with collector value. My planes are users and I like the sides trued up (flattened) just like the sole.

Hope this helps. Have fun, Vince in NC

3. Quote Originally Posted by Zahid Naqvi
    Recently acquired a Stanley #5 from the Bay. The plane has got rust and will need some major cleaning. I have seen some on-line articles on this topic, I was wondering if some of you can share some personal tips and tricks you have used to clean rust. I have read about the electrolysis option but am reluctant to try it due to the fear that it may erode some of the useable iron/steel. Any advice on a way to remove rust on a Stanley #5 is appreciated.
    I would post pictures but don't own a digital camera yet

Zahid

Worry not, you can't overcook it.

Get off as much rust as you can with the razor blade first though; it makes it less messy later.

Beyond that, scotch-brite, mineral spirits, toothpicks, q-tips, and elbow grease. Wax everything when done, and I use a smidgy bit of 3 in 1 oil in the threads as I reassemble.
    If "It's a poor craftsman that blames his tools", why do we think we can do more, and be better at it, with more expensive gizmos? You can't trade cash for skill. Unfortunately, I have neither.

Give yourself permission to experiment

Zahid:

Very good advice from other posters about the absolutely non-destructive effects of electrolysis. Just as long as you don't hook up your plane to the red terminal, you'll be fine if you go that route. But don't feel like you have to invest in an electrolysis set up if you don't want to.

As this is your first attempt at rehabilitating an old tool, the most important advice I have is to give yourself permission to just go to town on this plane with whatever means you feel appropriate. Everyone worries about doing something historically sacrilegious to their first old plane or forever destroying its "collector value."

Reality check here:

First, as you've made clear in previous posts and your PM's, you intend this plane to be a user, so the only tool owner you need to please is yourself.

Second: the eBay'ed Stanley No. 5 is as common as dirt. Based on what I know Zahid paid for this plane, I'll wager that it is not a pristine example of a rare type, so there just isn't any need for Zahid to worry about forever denying the universe a rare and collectible plane.

Third, even if you use museum-approved restoration techniques, this first attempt is going to be a learning experience and you aren't going to do everything perfectly.

So don't get paralyzed by analyzing the absolute "best" way to turn an old plane into a user. Just shoot for making a functional plane. I say if wire wheels, polyurethane and lime green enamel paint float your boat, then go for it.

And post before and after pictures so we can mercilessly critique your efforts.
    Marc