Thread: Anyone Own the Klingspor Souix Knockoff?

Anyone Own the Klingspor Souix Knockoff?

I'm getting tired of my Harbor Freight close quarter drill. It is uncomfortable in my hand and feels like there are pebbles in the shaft. It is very difficult to adjust the speed so it's time for something better.

Klingspor advertises their sander for about half of the Souix sander but I don't know if it has the same QA issues. If you have a power sander that you think is terrific, please let me know.

BTW, no air sanders need apply.

Thanks,
    Burt

Some times you can find reconditioned Sioux/Milwaukee drills that sell for about half the new price. I do prefer them to the cheap ones. I had one of the knock offs, and it didn't last a month before the casing wore out (not the bearings). I will have to try again some time in the future. I will get about 400 or more bowls from one drill before it needs the bearings replaced. The knock off one was maybe 50 bowls. I do tend to abuse my tools. Also, running the drills at about half speed (1/4 inch piece of cork taped to the trigger) makes them last longer.
    robo hippy

Burt,

I have both the Klingpor knock-off and the Milwaukee angle drill. The Klingpor gets the most use and has not given me any problem. It may be slightly light in weight, but not enough to really tell a difference. Speed control & reversing works well. It is a key chuck but so is the Milwaukee. It was on sale when I bought it and only later picked up the Milwaukee when there was a sale on it, but it was at three times the price of the Klingpor. Next time I see it on sale I will pick up another (Hint to Klingpor).

Thanks for asking Burt because I was curious also. Thanks Thomas for the info.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

CPO Outlet has a reconditioned Milwaukee on sale for $90. http://www.cpooutlets.com/presdaysal...s/0370-80.html
    I have bought several other tools from CPO and been satisfied with price, quality and quick delivery.

BobV

I just called Klingspor. Their supplier is no longer carrying the 3/8 right angle drill. Guess I'll go with the CPO Milwaukee. I have purchased other recon articles from the various CPO stores and have had good results.

The only other one I'm aware of is Vince's Wonders (whatever). His sander is about the same price as the Milwaukee.

Burt

OK. I ordered the CPO Milwaukee drill. Got free shipping so that helped. Will post results when received.

Thanks for the tip Bob!

Burt

Burt,

Try "The Sanding Glove" on google. They have an angle drill for $59 that I saw in Waco, TX at the SWAT last fall and are also a good source for sanding supplies. It looks like the others. Of course, the show deal was a little better there also. The angle drill is handy for sanding the interior of bowls.

Burt, can you provide a link or name for the Klingspor product? Their website search is kind of lousy but the in-laws have a store down the street. I'd like to take a look at it online.

thanks, Jake

Jake,
    Klingspor's web site is http://www.woodworkingshop.com. They no longer are carrying a right angle drill. That's why I bought the one at CPO Milwaukee. Had I seen Thomas' post, I might have gone that route.

Burt

well, I don't own the knockoff; I tried ordering the faster 2500rpm sioux from packard in november, and it was on backorder until recently. I've used it for only a few hours, and I have to say it was worth the wait, and the price. I actually do have a cheaper version of the 1300rpm version--actually very well made, but 1300 just doesn't cut it, or rather sand it, as it were... The difference seems to mostly be in how fast the motor spins up and slows down. The Sioux is MUCH faster to come to full speed, and MUCH faster to slow down. This doesn't seem very important until you're doing production sanding work and waiting for it to slow down is a big drag--that extra few secs between grit changes means money lost when you're going back and forth between grits. I suppose eventually I'll need two or three 8005 drills so that I can keep a few different grits on for going back over spots that I need to re-sand. The money for the sioux seems to really be worth it, even though I HATED to pony up that much dough. Just meant its that much longer till I get to order my mustard.............................
    Last edited by Nathan Hawkes; 02-15-2009 at 1:52 AM.

My reason for not getting the Sioux in the first place was reading a lot of problems with QA and early burn-out of motors. That coupled with the high price kept me away. I tend to use my sander a lot so I don't want to buy-often, especially at that price.

If my Milwaukee fails me, perhaps, I'll reconsider the Sioux.

Burt

Nathan,
    I have both the slow and fast models of the Sioux/Milwaukee drills, and prefer the slow speed ones. The problem with the fast one is it is too fast, and on my slow speed ones, I have a piece of cork under the trigger to limit the speed. Slower sanding speeds actually work better than the higher speeds. I know this doesn't sound right, but it really works. Better for your wood, the drill, and the abrasives.
    robo hippy

Try Highland Hardware. I got a Grip brand right angle there last year.
    Don't burn the wood, turn the wood.