Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What corded drill?

What corded drill?

I'm considering buying a corded drill. I mostly use an 18V Hitachi which is fine most times but the batteries don't hold a charge too long anymore, frequently changing them. Besides the Hitachi, I also have a 1/2" Porter Cable hammer drill but it's too big for smaller projects.

Here are the considerations:
    1. comfortable to use (balance, weight, etc.)
    2. 3/8 or 1/4 OK, don't need 1/2" capable (see above)
    3. A clutch would be great, but not mandatory
    4. also a keyless chuck would be nice, but also not mandatory

I have read this thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...t=corded+drill

I am thinking that I need two usable drills when doing certain tasks and believe that I'd be better served having a smaller corded drill rather than another cordless. I don't use pocket screws yet but may someday.
    On a side note, I have started another thread regarding quick-change drill/driver sets. I have one or more now that are just ok. Thanks for your thoughts and recommendations.

DeWalt makes a nice one

On a whim I bought the DeWalt D115k 'mid handle' drill while I decided what cordless drill to replace my old 12v Makita, and I'm surprised with how much I like it. The 'mid handle' makes it quite well balanced, it's got plenty of power, is smooth and I even like the little level bubble they have built into the back.

Highly recommended - about $60 - $70 depending on where you shop.

Dave

I like having a corded drill for the obvious reasons:
    - lighter than a cordless (no battery to haul around)
    - batteries never die
    - even the little Ryobi has more power than all but the biggest cordless drills
    - less parts to break
    I bought a Ryobi when I was screwing down floors, and the batteries on my cordless kept dying faster than I could recharge (can't remember now if it was the Dewalt days or the Bosch days, but I don't think it matters neither would have kept up, even with two battery packs). It paid for itself on that job and saw a lot of use on other big jobs ever since.
    The Ryobis also have
    - keyless chuck and clutch
    - level (I haven't found it particularly helpful, but you never know)
    If you didn't already have a "big" drill, I might have had a different suggestion, but in your circumstance Ryobi seems the way to go (of the drills I've seen/tried).
    Having said all that, it's tough to beat the convenience of the cordless for little jobs (most woodworking projects).

My old DeWalt (10 + years old) has sure been a goody. VS, 3/8" chuck, plain Jane, and it works.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

My Makita is about 16 years old now with never a hitch.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I submit to you that you may not be giving the new generation of cordless drills their due.

An 18v LiIon will hold a charge for a long time and is more manageable for 90% of yr woodworking tasks.

I own 2 corded drills and don't even use them for pockethole or dowel ops, which is recommended; the cordless does fine.

The only corded I've reached for in the past 36 mo is the hammer drill, which is the only way to bore holes in 'crete.

Most of yr cordeds aren't variable speed, which makes it a bad choice for delicate work.

Id look at Fein, Festool, or Pasasonic

Red is my favorite color...
    http://www.milwaukeetool.com/webapp/..._192158_192137
    is also my vote...
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

I have used the Hitachi 3/8" and 1/2" for years... great drills for the money as I am a Milwaukee person at heart. But.. these have performed just as well as any I've used with the 1/2" having more torque than any other 1/2" I have personally used.

And.. in a different ligth the first thing I did with the 3/8" drill was replace the chuck with a key type Jacobs I had laying around. I have yet to see a keyless that doesn't slip under high torque. The newer hex shank bits have helped that but I still prefer a keyed chuck so I can hunker down on clamping a round shaft bit in it.

Sarge...

I have a Milwaukee Magnum drill and really like it........Rod.

Blog Entries
    I like the Milwaukee and the Bosch. Either one would be a winner.....
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

+1 on the milwaukee 3/8.

Quote Originally Posted by John Thompson View Post
    I have used the Hitachi 3/8"...
    Sarge...
    I bought the Hitachi for pocket hole drilling. Its very lightweight (the lightest, I think), especially important if you have a lot of holes to drill.
    Matt

I've got the 3/8" Milwaukee Magnum (purchased when they were still Made In USA). I've also got a smaller 3/8" mid-handle Black & Decker from the early 80's. Love it, wish it had a keyless chuck. When I'm drilling a lot of small holes, I reach for it because it's much lighter and smaller in the hand than the Milwaukee porker. It is, however, long out of production.

For a lightweight corded, the Ryobi with a clutch is the way I would go, especially since nobody else seems to make a similar drill. $40 at Home Depot. If my B&D ever dies, that Ryobi is the likely replacement.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.