Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What corded drill?

Milwaukee's best and I ain't talkin the beer.

Per
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

2. I don't know

I wonder about you guys sometimes. Here's a guy looking for advice, in his words, a 1/4" or 3/8" drill, he obviously doesn't need much capacity; he needs a Milwaukee like he needs a hole in the head, which he could drill with a Ryobi. Fein, Festool, Panasonic, a Magnum (no offense Rod)? Come on. These are really tools for guys, and girls of course, that use them everyday.

What he needs is a $50 Dewalt or the like. Hell a $25 Ryobi would probably last him his whole life.

Paul,

I did the work for a living, so perhaps that disqualifies me, but I don't think you can make a convincing argument against buying the best appropriate tool you can afford; there is a difference in performance, reliability, durability and all-around satisfaction in use between good tool and not-so-good tools.

And I was going to recommend Bosch.
    Last edited by Frank Drew; 02-12-2009 at 4:24 PM.

I have for farm use, a Makita, a Dewalt and a Milwaukee. All work well. The Dewalt is the cheapest and would work well for the OP, but I do like the Makita best.

The speed control part of the switch on my DeWalt quit functioning although it still works, only it's either off or on full-speed.

I ended up buying Harbor Freight's finest, on sale, for less than the price of a new speed control and it seems to be just a dandy little drill.

So that reminds me, I haven't ordered that new part from DeWalt yet. Better do it soon. I'm starting to get attached to the HF!

Interesting comments...I respectfully disagree based on my life long experience.

IMHO...buying tools that "probably" would last vs those have proven that they last has been a mistake in almost all cases. Of course I also temper this disagreement with a good dose of...expensive tools do NOT overcome lack of skill.

I...and many others have suggested that a certain model/type/brand name...because we have experience with them. My decision to go with a particular one was based on a number of inputs from users...some time in researching...and finally on long term use. I would like to think the OP would like to hear that...digest it...and then make a decision...based on his own judgment of all input. Your "he needs a Milwaukee like he needs a hole in the head" is not what I would call helpful...it's close to suggesting he doesn't have good judgment and insulting to those of us who just want to help.

ps...If I missed the OPs implication that he wanted the cheapest corded drill that would drill holes (not in his head I hope)...I retract all of the above.
    Last edited by Glenn Clabo; 02-12-2009 at 5:00 PM.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

7. Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Clabo View Post
    Interesting comments...I respectfully disagree based on my life long experience.

IMHO...buying tools that "probably" would last vs those have proven that they last has been a mistake in almost all cases. Of course I also temper this disagreement with a good dose of...expensive tools do NOT overcome lack of skill.

I...and many others have suggested that a certain model/type/brand name...because we have experience with them. My decision to go with a particular one was based on a number of inputs from users...some time in researching...and finally on long term use. I would like to think the OP would like to hear that...digest it...and then make a decision...based on his own judgment of all input. Your "he needs a Milwaukee like he needs a hole in the head" is not what I would call helpful...it's close to suggesting he doesn't have good judgment and insulting to those of us who just want to help.

ps...If I missed the OPs implication that he wanted the cheapest corded drill that would drill holes (not in his head I hope)...I retract all of the above.
    Glenn,

Thank you, your comments are right on the mark.

As a long time user (and sometimes abuser) of my tools, I would have to agree with the Milwaukee and/or Bosch. I've owned or used many different brands and types of tools, the Milwaukee and Bosch have consistently lasted longer and performed better.

I also have experience with the new L-ion drills/rattle guns, and like them very much. They are lightweight, powerful, easy to carry around all day, and the batteries last forever. The price tag may be a bit out of reach for a hobbyist though. The Makita fit my hand quite well, and I will buy a set of these when they come out with the Lithium polymer batteries.

My Paw always told me, "If you buy junk, you will buy it twice." I had to learn my lesson the hard way, so now I only go for the best.

Doug

8. Well Glenn you don’t specify with whom you are respectfully disagreeing with but as you quoted my post I’ll assume it’s me. I see you felt compelled to disagree “based on your lifelong experience” It’s always hard to engage anyone in argument when they play the “I’ve been in this business 40 years you gonna argue with me” card but I’ll do my best.

Let’s take your post and give it some scrutiny point by point. Maybe this will prove more “helpful” than my last post. There are points you make that I agree with, some I don’t, and one that well I’m just not sure what it is you mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Clabo View Post
    IMHO...buying tools that "probably" would last vs those have proven that they last has been a mistake in almost all cases. . By the way, when you follow “lifelong experience” directly with IMHO, well there’s nothing humble about the opinion when you just bragged about how experienced you are.

The operative word here is “last”. If I took a $10 drill and used it once, it would “last” forever. If I took a Magnum and ran it continuously under heavy load it wouldn’t last the day. So the word “last” is meaningless without specifying the ”use”, another operative word. And are you implying that a Dewalt or Bosch in the $50 range is “iffy” as to whether it would hold up to occasional use? Is that what your lifelong experience tells you?

Of course I also temper this disagreement with a good dose of...expensive tools do NOT overcome lack of skill
    Yes, as you say, “of course” Glenn. Actually this is the point I’m not sure of it’s meaning in this context. Whose lack of skill, Rick the poster. You’re saying to him, don’t expect that buying an expensive drill is going to make you more skilled, like he’s a child. Not insulting? My guess is he would know that.

I...and many others have suggested that a certain model/type/brand name...because we have experience with them. My decision to go with a particular one was based on a number of inputs from users...some time in researching...and finally on long term use. I would like to think the OP would like to hear that...digest it...and then make a decision...based on his own judgment of all input.
    Right, you mean the input like yours, which amounted to a link to Milwaukee’s website. That’s something Rick could really digest. Your "decision” that you mention, is based on how you would use the tool, not how Rick would use it. So when recommending Rick buy Milwaukee, you’re basing that on what exactly? That might be something Rick might like to know.

Your "he needs a Milwauke like he needs a hole in the head" is not what I would call helpful...it's close to suggesting he doesn't have good judgment and insulting to those of us who just want to help.
    My comment in no way suggests anything about Rick’s judgment, but it does suggest what I think about your comment and anyone else who gives some kind of blanket recommendation that he needs a tool meant for everyday use. If you find that insulting I would suggest you’re too easily offended.

Rick certainly implied nothing about wanting the cheapest corded drill, but you certainly missed what was implicit in his post. When he says he’s looking for a ¼” or 3/8” drill that tells me he wants a light duty drill that he does need to spend $100 or more for. Maybe with all your experience it says something different to you.

Interestingly, there were 20 posts before your second one, and all the posts that were like yours (7) just said basically buy Milwaukee, you know, all the people I insulted. The other 13 expressed an idea, which I believe were all more “helpful” than your link to Milwaukee. The best of them was from Frank Drew who said, “buy the best appropriate tool you can afford.” I'd say that's it in a nutshell, thoughtfully stated

Somehow I can’t help but think Frank’s post was way more helpful than yours. Maybe you, as a moderator, should be more circumspect when critiquing other member’s posts, when you have really nothing to add to the thread other than a link to a manufacturers website.
    Last edited by Paul Demetropoulos; 02-13-2009 at 2:54 AM.

Bad evening Paul?

Milwaukee is now in the same class as Ryobi. I will not buy another Milwaukee, maybe a Sawzall will be my last purchase. I feel this brand has been cheapened up since TTI brought it.

I have to amend my previous post, only I'm not going up there to amend, I'm just going to revisit what I said.

Today I stopped by the OrangeBorg and physically checked out the Ryobi. I'm not sure I can recommend it, simply because of it's physical size. In the few years since I last handled one of the Ryobi corded drill/drivers with a clutch, then darn thing has gotten bigger. Not sure why, but I think it's a mistake on Ryobi's part.

Regretably, it seems as though the FAT drill is all the rage these days. The B&D I have is similar in size to this one, only my VSR. A comparable (feature wise) drill to the Ryobi is this B&D. It may also be porkier than the OP desires. A quick visit to Skil, B&D, Hitachi, Bosch, and Craftsman reveals no 1/4" drills. Milwaukee, DeWalt and Makita have 1/4" drills, but they are designed (and likely priced) for production environments.

And FAT is what I don't like about my Milwaukee 3/8" Magnum. The thing is not comfortable to use one handed because I have to grip it to control it, rather than it resting in my hand. (Kinda like the difference between a softball and a baseball, one nestles in hand, the other not.)
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Hello,
    Most of the "cheapies" top out at 1500 RPM.
    The "better" ones go up to 2500 RPM.

I don't recall seeing that mentioned anywhere in the back/forth banter above over "quality".

The OP mentioned that he may use pocket screws somewhere down the road.
    IIRC, the general consensus is that pocket holes are best done with a 2500 RPM drill.

IMHE - buying a cheap tool isn't anywhere as expensive in the long run as not getting the right tool in the first place, regardless of cost.
    Last edited by Rich Engelhardt; 02-13-2009 at 6:59 AM.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

My first thought when seeing the OP was (and still is): What is the most frequency of use for this drill? ...Every now and then? ...2-3 times a week? ...2-3 times a day? ...Almost constantly throughout the life of a project?

My second thought was: What is the "hardest" task you are expecting to accomplish with this tool? ...Bore the occasional pilot hole in hard maple? ...Bore a dozen holes for dowels on a given project? ...Run screws in to flooring or roofing deck boards for hours at a time?

If your usage is going to be light and infrequent you might want to consider a Skil, B&D, or Craftsman VS drill. They're inexpensive and will do the job. If, however, the cycle of work you're expecting from the drill is long and hard -- OR you are the type who has to have the top of the line in all cases -- by all means, go for a Dewalt or Milwaukee, 'though from personal experience I will not recommend the latter.

Actually, as you mentioned you have a Hitachi corded 1/2" hammer drill -- and your only concern about it seemed to be its size/bulk -- I don't see why you're not considering the Hitachi DV10VH? Seems to meet your criteria.

Dave Potter
    Last edited by Dave Potter; 02-13-2009 at 7:47 AM. Reason: Omitted an important word
    In my shop, there's a place for every tool. ...Now, if only I could just find those places.

I appreciate all the responses. I didn't specify a price point because that isn't as important as the things I DO want: comfortable to handle, 3/8 or smaller, clutch and keyless chuck would be nice.. So, I wouldn't rule out the Milwaukee or DeWalt or others if they met my criteria. I DO tend to prefer "better than I might need" in most cases. The main reason for considering corded is that my experience with cordless is that they don't last forever. I love the convenience but eventually you have to replace/rebuild the batteries. I will continue to have and use a cordless, but think a corded will be a good supplemental drill. I would suspect using it for when I have many holes to drill and for pilot holes for wood screws in hardwood, etc. I am a hobbyist/homeowner so not used everyday but I don't want to sacrifice durable for price, either. Many of you pointed out some features of drills you know about, especially how they relate to my requirements. That is what I was looking for. I don't want a large heavy unbalance drill that I won't feel like using, but I won't buy a throwaway drill either. SO, which of the drills mentioned so far meet these criteria? Do you believe that the drill you recommend is easy to handle/durable/and will meet my needs as specified. Thanks again. Oh, and let's keep it friendly and civil

If you go back to the first two responses (and some others) you'll see they addressed my question well.
    Last edited by Rick Moyer; 02-13-2009 at 8:49 AM. Reason: added last comment

addendum

If you (as some of you have mentioned) DON"T like a certain drill, I would also like to know why. Maybe that will be more beneficial .