Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Latest Projects...router cabinet and drill press table

Latest Projects...router cabinet and drill press table

Hi All,

I've been pretty quiet at the Creek for quite a while even though I still have been lurking and commenting occasionally.

Finally finished up a couple of projects and thought I would share them. Just bought the tabletop for the router table which has been mostly completed for quite some time and also put together a drill press table from plans in one of the recent Wood magazines.

I'll post the pictures and descriptions in a couple of replies to keep from having too many pictures in a single one.

Router cabinet

Below is the cabinet made from purchased plywood and scrap material for the trim and drawer fronts.
    The plans are based on the ones in "Woodworking with the Router" by Bill Hylton and Fred Matlack.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Toughest part of this project (and not expected at all) was the hinges for the doors. Had to chisel out wood from both the door and the edges of the cabinet to get them to sit flush. I definitely need to learn more about different types of hinges and how to install them.

Man is using the router with a table and fence a lot nicer than freehanding it.

Drill Press Table (and stealth gloat)

Below are pictures of the drill press table made from the plans in the recent Wood magazine. BTW - I bought a Delta 965 drill press.

And man has the drill press improved the holes that I can make!!!!

The table is also a lot nicer than the steel one that comes with it. The clampdown capability especially. The fence moves back and forth (as expected), it has a stop block, and a nice place to store the chuck key.

And the center support piece (1/4" hardboard) can be pulled out and replaced when it gets too worn out. Nice set of plans.
    Attached Images Attached Images

And finally, thank you to all of you who have helped me (whether I asked you directly or not). I have learned a tremendous amount here at the Creek by listening, asking, and sharing.

Thanks for looking.

Lightbulb

Very nice job!!!!
    Gary
    Bluegrass - Finger Pickin Good!

Ok Jeff......

Now I'm green with envy. Man, that router table is beautiful. I would LOVE to build a table like that but my problem is I want instant gratification when it comes to the tools. I have a brand new PC 7518 still in the box because I have vowed to myself I won't use it until I get a better table. Most likely I'll end up getting a setup from Woodpeckers.

Again.....nice job.

Brian

What are the rods for inside the fence?

Jeff,

Great work on both projects. I can't decide which one I like better. Where did the top come from for the router table? And how the heck did you use your drill press to cut those square pieces of plywood lying on its base?
    Kent Cori

Half a bubble off plumb

Rods in the Fence

Russ:

I saw that issue of WOOD and the rods act as extensions allowing the ends of the fence to be pulled out to the left and right of the center of the fence.

It's gratifying to hear that others have problems with hinges other than me. After more years of woodworking than I wish to talk about, where do I have problems? Handcut dovetails? M&T? Finishing? Nooooo! Things made of metal, such as hinges, latches, drawer slides, etc. Great looking tables!

Praise to you!!

Jeff GREAT job on router table. I loved that book by Hylton and he has another called "Router Magic" which I also enjoyed and use as reference, Looks like you topped it w a Rockler top and fence. I have the same setup, built my own legs etc but do like a lot using the Router table. Good job. Keep pictures and projects coming!! Jerry

Good to hear from you again, Jeff, and fantastic work! Congrats on the DP purchase...I have the very same one. First thing I did was bust off the center pin on the chuck...what an annoyance! Also, check to make sure the belts are lined up with the pulley...mine were off.

Congrats!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Thumbs up

Fantastic craftsmanship Jeff!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Riley
    Ok Jeff......

I would LOVE to build a table like that but my problem is I want instant gratification when it comes to the tools. Brian
    Brian, half the fun of this hobby is building stuff like this. It's only for your shop so it doesn't have to be perfect (good thing ) and it's a great excuse to go down to the shop to play.

It really went a lot faster than I thought it would and I learned a lot in the process. Buy the top like I did but spend the time and make the cabinet.