Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: No more selling on CL for me!!!

$675 - ouch!! CL is no warrantys implied or provided - no returns no exchanges.

Your machine was like new! tell him to call laguna and congrats on a steal of a horiz mortiser.

What is it not doing for him??

Tell him to save up for a multi router!
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Joiner View Post
    Why sell it? New it's about $1,200 with shipping. Did it perform as you expected?
    It performed fine, but it cannot compare to the speed of the Multi-Router. I can now cut mortises in a few seconds each, and repeat it very fast on multiple pieces with precise accuracy. To get this accuracy with the Laguna, I would have had to build a table similiar to what Mike Heidrick built for his (search Laguna Mortiser). Also, I have a pile of spiral router bits, but not any additional hardware for the Laguna, so I would have needed to invest in this as well. In the end, I would have had two machines set-up the same to do the same thing.

Also note, I had no idea I would end up getting a Multi-Router. I refused to pay what they were asking for them new as I thought they were over priced. Now that I use one, I wouldn't be without it. I got mine, which was like new for only $1500 and it included a router!

Best, Greg

I'd never heard of Jijiji before. Thanks for the tip!

JW

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Slater View Post
    After dragging home my General 490 bandsaw that I bought on Kijiji yesterday for $560, I have realized that it is in fantastic condition and I will be passing it on to my kids. I love CL and Kijiji. Where else are you supposed to find quality tools from the Lost Era.? I usually sell my tires on CL, as it is a great way to get into new tires 10,000 miles sooner. My three wheel bandsaw is going up on CL next week. I cannot imagine expecting what this purchaser wants from you. My thought process does not work that way. HE Bought It. He owns it.

Let him resell it himself if he doesn't want it.

JW

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Stahl View Post
    Sold my Laguna Platinum Slot Mortiser that is virtually brand new to a guy for a mere $675 and now he has called me several times for support--driving me crazy!

I don't think he knows much about it, and thinks it would do something different, and now wants his money back??? I could have sold it to another individual that said he would take it for the same price.

Also, before he took delivery, he called and talked to Laguna to make certain this is the machine he wanted, and I was nice enough to hold it for him instead of selling it to the other interested party.

Should I have given him his money back? I feel guilty having said no, but am trying to help him resell it by calling the other interested party for him.

I don't know how much time has passed since you've been paid. But a few years ago PayPal started to slowly adopt an anti-seller bias in resolving disputes. If he disputes the deal, it is possible that PayPal will try to collect the funds from you.

The reasoning is simple: PayPal is trying to match the dispute resolution of the Visa/MC member banks. This is primarily because payments via PayPal are often made via Visa/MC, and if a customer disputes a transaction to their CC company, said company will stand on PayPal's neck until the funds are coughed up. It just makes sense for PayPal to go after the payee for funds in the event that someone comes after PayPal for them.

I'd be very careful with your PayPal account. If it is linked to a bank account, I'd make sure there aren't enough funds for them (PayPal) to drain it. If you do conduct a future transaction with PayPal, don't be surprised if they hold the funds.

Just a FYI based on what I've read and heard of what is going on.

I didn't read it was a paypal transaction... As a seller, I would never use paypal for CL. Cash and carry only.

Had pretty good luck with CL, but like everything else a bit of caution goes a long way, seems you've went well past reasonable dealing with him.
    I'd maybe try the 25% restocking fee and offer that..if the unit is in the same shape it was when it left, if that don't work, tell him to call a attorney as your done with him.

My best/worst case was once selling a old truck, advertised a price and added the price was firm, guy called and tried over and over again to barter me down, each time I'd ask him if he read the "firm" part and he'd say ya, but will ya take.....I hung up on him.

btw thanks for your post Ken, my thoughts exactly.

Al
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    David,

Frankly I think you are way out of line making a statement like that. There are a lot of Creekers that have sold and bought from Craig's List. Bottom feeders? I think not.

In today's world, there are a lot of people who have a totally different outlook on life than what most of us consider normal.

Example: My wife wanted a new carpet cleaner....steam cleaner. The local Home Depot is the only place in town that carries them in stock. I was shopping for one there and some guy offered me a "money-saving" idea. Buy it.....use it.....return it. It won't cost you anything. You wonder why the prices in retail stores are high when folks with that kind of a dishonest attitude are around?
    you'd be amazed at how many people do that. i've actually seen people who contantly buy and return from their local specialty stores chastize others for buying stuff online and keeping it, as if not buying something from the local store hurt it more than using their stuff basically on loan for years at a time in 30 day intervals and never letting them make money on anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Neal Clayton View Post
    you'd be amazed at how many people do that. i've actually seen people who contantly buy and return from their local specialty stores chastize others for buying stuff online and keeping it, as if not buying something from the local store hurt it more than using their stuff basically on loan for years at a time in 30 day intervals and never letting them make money on anything.
    Blame the retail stores for this. If they truly wanted to do something about it, they would. People will always take advantage of a situation in which they can save money (or think they are saving money) and you can hardly blame them if the door is open to it.

Since the stores don't seem to do this, I have a feeling only a very small percentage of people actually do this and they take the hit in order to have a liberal return policy to keep the customers happy and shopping at their store.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

The Borgs keep track with their computer systems of the folks that return items and there is a limit to what they will tolerate before they cut the customers off.
    David B

Chris....let's see if I understand you correctly.

Someone buy's something....only to uses that something....then returns it for a full refund.....even though they never intended to own it..just use it......if they'd went to a rental center....they would have had to pay rent for it..........

AND it's the retailer's fault for having a liberal return policy?

But what about that super-duper-double-disc-widget tool you bought.....got it home and found out it didn't do what you thought it would and you want to return it?

I suggest it's the fault of the dishonest person who wanted a free rental and is temporarily buying it. In some cases, once something has been used it can't be legally sold as new...so the retailer takes a financial hit. Maybe a 20% restocking fee if the purchase has been used is in order!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

The retailer, if its a big one, probably isn't taking the hit, its probably their vendor.

I know someone who's wife was banned from returning stuff to Sears. Her method of shopping for clothes, etc was to buy, buy, buy, then decide after a few days what she really wanted and return the rest. After a while they got sick of it and cut her off. He was rather amused.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Chris....let's see if I understand you correctly.

Someone buy's something....only to uses that something....then returns it for a full refund.....even though they never intended to own it..just use it......if they'd went to a rental center....they would have had to pay rent for it..........

AND it's the retailer's fault for having a liberal return policy?

But what about that super-duper-double-disc-widget tool you bought.....got it home and found out it didn't do what you thought it would and you want to return it?

I suggest it's the fault of the dishonest person who wanted a free rental and is temporarily buying it. In some cases, once something has been used it can't be legally sold as new...so the retailer takes a financial hit. Maybe a 20% restocking fee if the purchase has been used is in order!
    Yes, it is the retailer's fault but it really isn't a question of blame. They have this "loophole" in their policy and if they want to do something about it, they most certainly can.

There will always be opportunists out there. It is human nature whether you like it or not, agree with it or not, or condone it or not. Yes, ultimately, I agree that the consumer doing this is being deceptive, dishonest, what-have-you, but as long as the opportunity exists, there are people who will take advantage of it.

I'm sure this kind of thing is likely priced into the sale of goods. I know for a fact that stores expect a certain percentage of items to be shoplifted and they adjust prices to compensate for the loss. This is probably no different but it is up to the store to cull out the abusers and cut them off. Certainly, the abusers aren't going to stop unless someone stops them....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Stahl View Post
    It performed fine, but it cannot compare to the speed of the Multi-Router. I can now cut mortises in a few seconds each, and repeat it very fast on multiple pieces with precise accuracy.

Best, Greg
    Is it mostly the low RPM on the Laguna that made it slower?

Quote Originally Posted by Neal Clayton View Post
    Shopping for a post hole digger at HD the other day I noticed one with dirt on the blades. A lot of dirt. Even though it's not unusual to see used/returned items on this store's shelves, it surprised me.

Knowing a used tool should be less expensive than a new tool, I went looking for a salesperson but declined his offer of a 10% discount when he said, "That should have been cleaned off." I negotiated a 50% discount after suggesting to a manager that HD's policy should be to tell the clown who returned the post hole digger, "You didn't borrow this tool, we sold it to you."