Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Free" Sketchup, or Pay for something Easier?

"Free" Sketchup, or Pay for something Easier?

I would like to begin making my designs with a 3D program rather than drawing and editing at the drafting table.
    I see that many woodworkers are using Sketchup, which doesn't cost anything to download. There also appear to be many free plugins.

I realize that free is in some sence a misnomer, as there appears to be quite an extensive learning curve before I will be able to design and make components for a curio cabinet, and get a cut list generated from it.

I would rather pay for a program that has less of a learning curve, or who's work process is more streamlined and user friendly, than struggle with a "free" program that I will pay for through extra hours of learning and using.

Is Sketchup the best route for me to go? Or is there another option out there that is clearly better? I sampled the program that is being sold through Rockler, SketchList I think, but was not impressed as making curves was tedious to say the least.

Thanks for your input.

Jonathan

If you want to use a 3D program, Sketchup is a pretty good one to learn. There's a whole cottage industry of books and such devoted to helping you learn it. However, if you only need to get to the point that you can make a cutlist, you might consider a 2D CAD program. There's a lot less to learn than in a 3D one. DeltaCad is a good example. It feels pretty much like an electronic equivalent of a drafting table. It makes 2D line drawings, not fancy 3D perspective models.

Easier than sketch-up? I don't think it exists. I dabble in a bunch of 3d design tools (AdeskRevit, Rhino, Maya, ProE, SolidWorks) none of the above are 1/2 as easy as SU and are uber-expensive. Of course all are "professional" tools which are much more powerful than SU.

If I want to quickly make a simple model that isn't likely to go to g-code. print, presentation SU is often the app I'll open.

SU is really quite intuitive: watch the tutorials and play with it, if you can get a user to demo, even better.

Of course if you can't beat the price even if you do nee the pro version.

Made this earlier today:
    Attached Images Attached Images

I want the 3D perspective as a preview of my design. Doesn't hurt to get the wife inspired as well so she'll encourage me to buy more tools!

I guess it depends on your personal perspective. My perspective appears to be quite different than yours. I'm a SketchUp user, although I've also used TurboCAD quite a bit in the past. I've looked at the SketchList website, but I found it much more clumsy than SketchUp. It has way too many dialog boxes and tables to manipulate to do simple things that SketchUp can do in seconds. Once you understand the SketchUp interface, designs can be created very quickly. I immediately found the SU interface easy and intuitive. For others, a good way to do that is to view the tutorial videos (many are available on YouTube). I still watch them from time to time to refresh my skills.

The stumbling block for WW'ers using SU is the lack of a built in cut-list/material-list. But, there is at least one plugin that adds that functionality. However, SU does have built in dimensioning (manual, not automatic).

There are simple 2D CAD apps out there, but I'm not familiar with them. You might want to search for those.

Many moons ago, I used to do 3D animation back with the DOS version of 3D Studio. I briefly learned to use it when it came to Windows and was renamed "3D Studio MAX." I also have a small amount of Maya experience.

The difficultly that I have had in learning Sketchup was "unlearning" everything I knew about professional 3D modeling software. There's a whole dictionary of terminology and a huge learning curve that causes you to think about a design around the software. Once you get there it's smooth sailing though. SketchUp is more limited in many ways because it's backwards: the software is built around how most people think about designing. But that makes it a whole lot easier to learn.

Unless you already have the design mindset that comes with years of experience with AutoCAD, Solidworks, etc. your time would be much better spent learning SketchUp. It works very well for woodworking.

I noodled around with it on-and-off and didn't get very far because I didn't have a specific goal. Eventually I just forced myself to sit down for about six hours and design a simple project that I actually intended to build. Now I can't imagine not using it. (Hint: Learn to use the keyboard shortcuts; it makes the design process much faster than having to keep clicking on the toolbar)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Groenke View Post
    Easier than sketch-up?
    I agree totally. SU is incredible in it's capability and has a shorter learning curve than any CAD system I've tried to use.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Another vote for SketchUp being one of the easiest to learn and use 3D programs out there.

One thing I find is that a lot of people trying to use SketchUp don't even take advantage of the video tutorials directly from SketchUp. The first section - new to Google SketchUp - has short (5 min. or so) videos of each command and how to use them. I have not found a single other program that so clearly explains how to use their product.

SketchUp certainly has a learning curve, but it is a shorter curve than any other product I have used. I have seen some programs which are specific for woodworking and they may be a little easier to pick up, but they seem much less versatile.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

I agree with Jeff. It's tough to un-learn another CAD program. I use Vectorworks for set design and lighting plots, and I have not been able to get the hang of SketchUp. I guess I'll have to do as he did and sit for 6 or 7 hours and try to learn it. Tough to get that much time with 2 yr old twins though!

Good source for Sketchup tutorials

Jonathan,

Here's a link to some free tutorials that helped me get up-to-speed with Sketchup.

http://www.go-2-school.com/podcasts

Thanks everyone. Sketchup it is then!
    Now to sit myself down and watch the tutorials.
    One more question.
    Where do I find the plugin for the cut list, and if I plan to use that, it must mean that I must follow a certain methodology of developing my project (ie every part must be its own component) right?

I have a Wacom Cintiq touch 21" screen that I use for photo processing. Can this be utilized for sketchup as well??
    Jonathan

The latest version of cutlist is at http://www.box.net/shared/m9ryf1l0ni.

I love SU, but the first couple of hours were terribly frustrating for me. I just couldn't "get it." If things don't seem to work, ask questions here.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

Harry,
    Thats a great link!

Jonathan,

SketchUp was my first experience with CAD and I should have spent more time learning and understanding how the basic tools work and complement one another before taking on a design project. It would have saved a lot of time and frustration.

Mike does a good job explaining and demonstrating basic and advanced SketchUp tools in his videos. His tips are very helpful too. I saved a few on iTunes and review them when I can’t remember how to do something.