Thread: How to keep chuck on arbor?

How to keep chuck on arbor?

I just got a dowel chuck from Craft Supply and it won't stay on the arbor. I cleaned it with lacquer thinner and banged it on my tablesaw top but it stills comes off. Any ideas?

Get some Red loctite clean the taper of any oil and let set a day

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Ingraham View Post
    I just got a dowel chuck from Craft Supply and it won't stay on the arbor. I cleaned it with lacquer thinner and banged it on my tablesaw top but it stills comes off. Any ideas?
    Jerry, Is the chuck a threaded or friction taper connection to the chuck? The drill chuck I have is just has a taper without threads and no screw holding it to the morse taper. Mine has never slipped or come off.

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Don't take it the wrong way, but did you get the right morse taper on the chuck for your spindle? Some are #1 some are #2 morse taper and 1 won't work with 2.

After re-reading Jerry's post about "banged it on tablesaw top", I don't think he meant the morse taper. There may be confusion in terminology.Dowel chuck?
    It would help if we know what you are talking about. Any picture?
    Gordon

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough in my first post. It is a chuck with the jaws drilled out in order to securely hold the dowel when turning a cork-bodied bottle stopper. You've all no doubt seen them in the turner's catalogs. It is a 3/8" chuck and I ordered it with a #2 Morse taper arbor for my lathe. The fit between the chuck and the arbor is a smooth taper designed for a friction fit. There is no provision for a screw to hold the chuck onto the arbor. I cleaned the two surfaces, slipped the arbor into the chuck, and firmly holding the chuck, banged the end of the arbor on my tablesaw top, thinking that would be enough to seat it securely. It wasn't enough though as the chuck keeps separating from the arbor. I agree that typically a chuck is used in a compression situation and thus has a tendency to stay seated (as in drill press operation). Anyway, I just thought someone else may have experienced this also and knew some simple procedure to lock it on. I'll probably dab a little Loctite on it which I'm sure will work.

By the way, despite the chuck coming off repeatedly, I was able to complete my first bottle stopper! I'm going to turn a few more today and I'll post some pics then.

Jerry

Jerry....nothing like chasing a project around the shop while turning it! I had a similar problem when I first started turning b/s but mine was because I wasn't using a draw bar with the Jacobs chuck. Once the old guy figured out what the drilled and tapped hole in the back end of the #2 morse taper was for..I bought some all-thread, a couple of nuts, a wing-nut and a washer and my problem was resolved. Is there any way to press your chuck onto the arbor?

Could you put the chuck and arbor into your headstock...bring your tailstock up without the live center...lock it down and use your quill to press the arbor and chuck together? Rotate the chuck as you increase pressure to insure the seating of the chuck is properly aligned?
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 02-13-2009 at 10:28 AM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I just went through the a similar problem with the same chuck except for the jaws. The taper on the chuck and arbor should be a number 33. I didn't realize that the chuck and arbor were seperate units as they were assembled when I got the chuck and never came apart. Recently the chuck body and arbor apparently began to seperate and the chuck body spun on the arbor and "galled" it. I managed to get it apart and after burnishing the chuck and arbor damage it once again fits fine. My chuck and arbor fit as tightly as the arbor fits into my lathe morse taper. My only suggestion is that either the taper on the chuck body or the arbor is not a 33.

Jerry, I just got this chuck from CSUSA and it comes with a seperate arbor which has the Jacobs taper on one end for the chuck and the Morse taper on the other end for the lathe. There was a light machine oil on the arbor and the chuck which I removed with a clean rag and then all worked properly.

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/st...ss_chuck?Args=

Well, I tried cleaning it again and them whacked it together with a deadblow hammer and it seems to be stuck together. I just turned 4 stoppers without it coming apart once! Thanks for the help!
    Jerry