Thread: Is this sturdy enough or will it break?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Is this sturdy enough or will it break?

I've been tinkering with the design shown in the image.

It's a low table/bench which will be used as a printer table.

Everything is 40mm thick Wengé. The table top is 500mm deep and 1200mm wide.

The legs are 500mm deep and 500mm high.

Each leg is attached to the top with two 20mm thick stainless steel rods epoxied into the wood (20mm depth in the top and whatever is necessary in the legs). An alternative would be to drill through the top, and let the rods sit flush with the top face of the table top.

As I hope the drawing shows, the legs are attached 50mm from the side of the table top, to avoid breaking of the grain in the top.

I really like the design - I'd like it better if the legs were mounted flush with the sides of the top, but I doubt it'll hold.

I also have my doubts about the design shown, as I fear the stainless rods will break the table top, due to racking. On the other hand, this table will only be used for two printers, so it will probably not see that much weight and movement.

An alternative is to mount the legs to the top with domino-reinforced miters - which was actually my first choice - but I like this better.

So, to sum up my questions:

1) Will the table top break with the design with the legs 50mm from the sides, and "only" 20mm of the rods in the table top?

2) Will the table top break with the legs flush with the sides and "only" 20mm of the rods in the table top?

3) Will the table top break with the legs in any position and the rods all the way through the top face of the table top?

4) Is this just a plain wrong design and the *only* way to do this without any stringers/stretchers is with reinforced miters?

Any and all comments are VERY welcome!
    Attached Images Attached Images