Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shooting Board Plane

Lever cap screw

Phillip,

The hole for mounting the knob is actually behind the lever cap pivot pin, in fact you can just see the edge of the lever cap pivot pin peeking from underneath the edge of the knob.

Ron

I can't see how the plane's metal body was assembled. Any light on that?

George
    Ron uses rivets to assemble the body and usually they're darn near invisible afterwards. I've got one he did with steel rivets that show up pretty clear though.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=93312
    Use the fence Luke

I made one plane that way.

Quote Originally Posted by John Schreiber View Post
    If you guys ever decide to design cars, you'll have Detroit beat in a minute.
    Yeah, but then we'll have to send a $20 billion bail out to Ron, and he'll have to fly in on his private jet to pick up the check ;-)

Ron,
    Thanks for the clarification on the knob. I didn't see any hole on the picture without the knob, so I guess that was all added later.

Knob hole was added later

Phillip,

Your eyes are not deceiving you. The hole for the knob was added after the first picture was taken. The only planes that I have seen offered in this Norris 11 style were not offered with accessory knobs and to be honest this one just barely needs it. For most operations it doesn't need the knob but when shooting square ends on wider and thicker boards the knob is an advantage. The first picture was taken while I was debating on the addition of the knob. I probably should have mentioned this in the initial post and I apologize for the confusion.

Ron

Bail out funds

Lee said,

"Yeah, but then we'll have to send a $20 billion bail out to Ron, and he'll have to fly in on his private jet to pick up the check ;-)"

Lee I would ride right up to Washington in my 1992 Toyota Camry to get my check and somewhere on the ride home the odometer would probably turn over to 200,000 miles. It's the companies that makes cars that last half that long that need the bailout money.

Ron

Ron, the plane is excellent as always. One of these days I will be able to fondle one of your planes, did I say that out loud
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

Are you screwing the knob in by removing ont of the keeper's screws,and threading it into that hole? That would save an extra hole from being made,and keep the sides of the plane pristine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Brese View Post
    ...........the odometer would probably turn over to 200,000 miles. It's the companies that makes cars that last half that long that need the bailout money.

Ron
    Amen brother! My first new car (1994 Nissan pickup) had 276,000 miles on it when I traded it in.

Lee

Sorry,I just saw the posting about where the knob screws in.Use of the same hole as the lever cap would be neater,though necessary to readjust the plane when installing the knob.

Seriously beautiful!

Ron,
    Another great looking (and no doubt, great functioning) plane! If I did not already have an excellent miter plane, I would definitely be placing an order with you.

(Proud owner of a couple of Brese's...)

Plane Iron

Ron,
    What type of steel are you using for the iron ?

Louis

Plane Iron

Ron,

Follow-up question. How thick is the iron ?

Louis