Thread: How long to find a used 6" Jointer in Chicago area?

How long to find a used 6" Jointer in Chicago area?

I've been on the lookout for a decent quality 6" jointer (on and off) for about a year now. Nothing much has turned up. I live in the Chicago area too, so there should be plenty to chose from.

I'm only looking on Chicago Craigslist. Is there another place to look for used tools in the Chicago area? Should it really take this long to find a jointer (I'm close to just buying one new at Home Depot). I'm mostly looking for the Ridgid jointer-- that one seems to be the most bang for the buck.

Thanks,
    GReg

It's interesting what stuff shows up on different CL's. I've been looking for a ~14" bandsaw on the Denver CL for about 6 months, and I haven't even seen a SINGLE non-benchtop bandsaw listed. However, there have been about 100 6" jointers in that time

You are probably better off joining or going to a local woodworking club. Most people with decent equipment wont sell on Craigslist because the people who buy on craigslist always want to pay much less than the tools are worth. You can always keep checking but getting in with a group of regular woodworkers is probably a better way to find quality used equipment. Also consider that the person you are buying from may not have taken care of or ruined the tool through misuse.

I don't know if Kijiji is big in Chicago, but in Toronto, it seems to have more tools than CL. Good Luck, keep looking.

Greg, My suggestion is to not limit yourself to just the Chicago area. Broaden your search to northern Indiana, Milwaukee, Madison and other parts of Illinois. If you are not dead set on the Ridgid, pick a few other jointer models that will serve your needs and keep searching. You can also put "(name of jointer model) craigs list" as a google search and it should show all that are available. Good luck!

I see them on St. Louis CL once in a while. I think some will depend on what price range you are looking at. Good luck.

I had been looking for some time for a Shopsmith 10er to restore on Craigslist. Last Nov I had to put a new engine in my F150. $4K

That week 3 of them showed up on CL and two were listed in the same town I am in Pockets were empty so I was unable to buy.

You never know.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Wink

One sure fire way to find a used piece of equipment is to buy a new one. Used ones will be popping up all around you after that.

I've got a really nice x5 delta 6" jointer with a mobile base I would love to sell you, too bad I'm a long ways away.

its interesting, they always show up when your never looking

There is a Delta 37-195 on Chicago CL right now - Downers Grove. It's priced a little high @ $450 but make him an offer.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Slater View Post
    I don't know if Kijiji is big in Chicago, but in Toronto, it seems to have more tools than CL. Good Luck, keep looking.
    I had never heard of Kijiji, so I looked it up. They have 5 tools; perhaps 2% of what CL has. One, a gas detector, looked interesting; so I googled on it and found they wanted twice retail. Oh well.

But anyhow, the Rochester CL gets about 2 6" jointers and a 14" BS each week. Hard to believe Chicago wouldn't have any in year.

Yes, I saw that one on CL (the Delta one), and it seemed a bit high. Thanks for the suggestions.

Try a "Wanted" on all the local Craig's lists. Use the craig's helper search tool to make it easy to watch all the local listings for what you want. I'm watching a 3 state area for an Airstream trailer.

http://www.craigshelper.com/

I've been looking for an 8" jointer on CL for about 3 months now.

I made deals on 2 of them--Nashville and Atlanta--only to have both sellers back out of the deal when a local showed up with cash in hand. I guess I can't blame them--cash is cash--but why make the deal in the first place.

I got so frustrated, I bought a 22" jointer instead!