Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Still Looking For A Good Chuck .... Please Help

Still Looking For A Good Chuck .... Please Help

I'm still looking for a good chuck, and I tend to over analyze things. That's probably 90% of the reason I haven't purchased one yet. I've seen all of the Teknatool chucks over at the local Woodcraft store along with their house brand which comes with it's own hard plastic case.

Then I've looked at all of the chucks from Grizzly tools and Woodturnerscatalog.com , but I think I'm just being too picky.

This will be my last question on the subject then I will just bite the bullet and buy one. One last question.

Is there any way to adapt a metal work machine chuck to fit a 1" X 8 tpi spindle nose? Here is an example of what I'm talking about.

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...ex?sku=7001387

Here is another example of the same chuck ..... http://www.toolmex.com/products/biso...?product=16875

The reason I ask is because I have a neighbor who works for a local machining corporation, and he said they have a bunch of those lying around at work that they get rid of occasionally. He said I could go down there on Monday if I chose to and pick one up from their maintenance guy.
    Last edited by Mark Waltrip; 02-14-2009 at 6:26 PM.

Mark IMHO I would not use a metal chuck for turning wood. You don't have enough area on the jaws to grip properly especially if you plan on doing bowls, HF's, lidded boxes, etc. They will not properly hold green wood for sure. I bought 3 of the $99 grizzly chucks and used the Vicmarc VM100 3 1/2" jaws on them. I am lazy and don't like changing jaws for different turnings. I have turned up to 16" with the griz chucks with no problems. I wouldn't turn much bigger than that without going to a bigger chuck. I bought the H6265 for the 1 X 8 lathe and two H6267 1 1/4 X 8 for my big lathe.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Mark, I have the woodcraft one in the green plastic case and it work just fine...you can get an assortment of jaws with it and it is a darn good price.......also Ive never heard any bad reviews on the grizzly chucks. I got mine at woodcraft so I wouldnt have to order online
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Mark - I have the Oneway Talon and it is an outstanding chuck. If price is not a problem - I highly recommend it. Just wanted to offer that as an option. Also, a lot of folks here swear by their Grizzly chucks. I have never used one - or even seen one - but I support take their recommendations and if they say it is a good chuck.... it is.

Best of luck with your decision. I hope you can find a chuck that works for you!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I've owned and used the barracuda chuck and their version of the cole jaws. OK for the price but I was never happy with it. Sold that set up and went to Nova chucks. i have and use the sn2 and the g3. Both are great chucks. I was in need of a smaller jaw set and decided to try the grizly chuck (mostly from Bernie's comments on it). I have been using it hard for about a week now and could not be happier! Great chuck and I really like the hex T handle for tightining. I'd swear this is a Vicmarc if it only had the name stamped into it. I can't reccommend it highly enough for a small (3 3/4") chuck. You will not be satisfied trying to do a work around with a metal lathe chuck. They are not as versatile as chucks intended for a wood lathe and I don't think it would be a safe operation trying to hold a bowl on one and hollow it out. Just my $.02. At $99 and 2 more jaw sets avaliabe for $19 each I don't think you can beat it..Bill...

The chuck you have linked to is an independent chuck. That means each jaw has its own key hole and moves independently of all the others. That might be okay if you are trying to do off center turning (and could find a way to prevent the "V" ends of the jaw from crushing into the wood) but would be a total PITA for most normal uses. The woodturning chucks that have been referenced are all self centering scroll chucks which means that when you turn the key all the jaws move the same distance at the same time.

Good Luck!
    Bob

OK. Here's the problem I've run into.

I will not only be turning wood, but I will also be turning small diameter copper round rod. The main diameters I will be turning will be 3/4", 1", and 1 1/2".

There in lies the problem with standard wood lathe chucks. From my understanding I would have to buy a #1 and a #2 jaw set with ANY purchase I made if I were to use a wood lathe chuck. With the exception of the woodturnerscatalog ' apprentice' chuck set.

Maybe I'm missing something here, or it's going over my head.

I really wish someone could set me straight on the subject since I'm confused. I will mainly be using it to turn 3/4", 1", and 1 1/2" copper round rod.

Mark
    The chuck you referenced has independent jaws and will be hard to center your project. The metal chucks also place a great deal of pressure in a small area, this could be a problem even for copper. Buy a good quality chuick and then add the jaws yo need to turn copper.
    Randy
    Much Work Remains To Be Done Before We Can Announce Our Total Failure to Make Any Progress

Mark;

Ben there done that. I have a three jaw machinist chuck, and a four jaw independent chuck. Both very good chucks for what they are designed to do and I use them for very special projects, but my $90 Grizzly out performs both of them when turning bowls and most wood projects. The sad fact is that machinist chucks work best on metal because their jaws are designed for holding metal and usually put too much concentrated pressure on the wood. My advice; spend $100 on one of the less expensive four jaw scroll chucks that have been recomended here, and find out for yourself. Most turners soon discover they need more than one chuck, so I don't think you will waste any money and will definately gain first hand knowledge.

Good Luck.
    Trying to eliminate sandpaper - one curly shaving at a time.

Mark,
    Looks like that chuck might bolt to a small faceplate that would fit your wood lathe. However, as mentioned, it is a 4-jaw independent, which means that you will need a dial indicator to get your workpiece centered. If they are freebees, by all means get one. It will make a good doorstop (8 pounds) if nothing else. If you buy a scroll (woodturning) chuck you will want some straight (not dovetail) jaws to hold your metal workpieces.
    Richard in Wimberley

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Waltrip View Post
    I'm still looking for a good chuck, and I tend to over analyze things. That's probably 90% of the reason I haven't purchased one yet. I've seen all of the Teknatool chucks over at the local Woodcraft store along with their house brand which comes with it's own hard plastic case.

Then I've looked at all of the chucks from Grizzly tools and Woodturnerscatalog.com , but I think I'm just being too picky.

This will be my last question on the subject then I will just bite the bullet and buy one. One last question.

Is there any way to adapt a metal work machine chuck to fit a 1" X 8 tpi spindle nose? Here is an example of what I'm talking about.

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...ex?sku=7001387

Here is another example of the same chuck ..... http://www.toolmex.com/products/biso...?product=16875

The reason I ask is because I have a neighbor who works for a local machining corporation, and he said they have a bunch of those lying around at work that they get rid of occasionally. He said I could go down there on Monday if I chose to and pick one up from their maintenance guy.
    Mark, If money is not problem buy a Oneway Talon or Stronghold. If money is the problem buy a Barracuda from PSI or on of Grizzlys chucks. They are all great and the Vicmarc, Nova and any of the others will do the job just as well. I have a Oneway stronghold, a Nova II, and a PSI barracuda II. THey all work just they are all a little different in size and jaws. The nova has dove tail jaws and the other 2 have straight serrated jaws. Like has already been said, if you are really going to get into turning the first chuck won't be the last!

Bite the bullet and don't over think things, its only money!!!!

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

I've got 2 Talons and 1 Stronghold. I like the Stronghold so much I will be buying another. As with all things, get the best you can afford.

Burt

Mark,

You sound like a security buyer.
    I have a good friend who is like that and he spends a ton of time overthinking a purchase and trying to make sure he gets a 'deal'. Over the years I have seen him make many poor purchases due to the fact he ends up with a deal but not exactly what is the best for his needs.

Go with a good name brand and buy the darn thing already.

Aloha, Pete

Mark. Don't do it.

The chuck you are showing as a link, is an independent Jawed chuck. This means that they don't close together. You want a self centering chuck. You turn 1 key, and ALL JAWS CLOSE. If you don't go self centering, you're just going to be pretty frustrated all the time. DAMHIKT!

Either get the Talon from Oneway or the SuperNova either are much less than you'd spend for a metal chuck. Additionally, if you are doing a lot of wet wood, I'd shift to the Talon as the jaws come with serrated edges for better holding power in wet wood.

Since you're on an 8x1" lathe you don't want the stronghold, its just too big.
    May all your turnings be smooth,

Brodie Brickey

Sears?

I got a 4 jaw independent chuck from Sears, 60 bucks. Long ago. They still list it. But, I got tired of it and upgraded to a Nova G3. MUCH better chuck. The independant can do off center turnings, but that is it's ONLY advantage. That may be what you are looking for. But if you are going to turn anything other than spindles, get any scrolling chuck. I'm really happy with the g3. The independent jaws are really a PITA. Takes as much time to set as it does to turn.

Metalworking chucks are heavy.