Thread: Oneida D/C Super Gorilla

Oneida D/C Super Gorilla

Well its arrived, I am installing the Super Gorilla in the shop now on an interior wall in my basement. I have braced the 2x6's in the wall with 2x6 horizontally for greater strength . also tied in the top an botom to ensure there not going anywhere.
    The Oneida is very well made, I did select the wall mount after hearing from others that there pretty good. I am using another filter than Oneida's. these are 300 sq/ft area and I am using 2 of them for a total of 600 ft. each is 34" long and this is where the modification from a "normal" installation starts. from the bottom of the discharge elbow I will require a total measurement of 34" x2 = 68" plus 4" for the dust pan on the bottom. yup a whopping 72" the ceilings in the basement are 9'6" lucky for me
    the top of the wall mount is 71" off the floor.

I will updarte with more pics going forward hope to have it mounted today. one thing is these are heavy and require 2 peolple to mount especially as high as I am going.

More to come

Bill

Bill, why did you change the filter configuration?

Filter change

I decided to go to a 300 bl filter after talking to Wynn environmental, these people are great to deal with and answer the "filtering" questions with a very good explanation not just a stock #
    My shop is in my basement and I wanted more than the 110 sq ft with the Oneida filter. just personal preferance.
    I will be installing 2 34" long filters that will give me better overall flow and still 99.9 % wood dust filtration.

link here
    http://www.wynnenv.com/cartridge_filters.htm

Good for you. Congrats. I'm glad you got it to work immediately.

You probably have greatly increased the intervals between cleaning of your final filter. Your CFM flow will retain higher figures for greater lengths of time. (Less back pressure from the final filter)

I'm in a garage shop with 8'3" rafters. (No ceiling) I put my cyclone high enough to make the main run level with the bottom of my rafters, no transition in elevation.
    It made my blower and motor go "up in the attic", but I was fine with that to not have a transition in height. And I planned and use a 55 gallon drum to aid in not having to empty it so often.

Sounds like you are a thinker. And willing to look outside the box.

Filters

I thought I would give it a try and will let you know how it comes out, the backwards impellar does "slap" the air and at forst glance its a screwy looking set up . I also trust Oneida.
    Bill
    Last edited by Bill Stoffels; 02-16-2009 at 1:43 PM.

Bill, you will love your gorilla I think. I put a 2 1/2 HP gorilla unit in my shop a couple weeks ago and got to put it to the test yesterday. At the last minute I decided to run a duct to my drill press and I'm glad that I did. I have a 4" flex hose to the table of the press and I drilled 40 turkey call blanks which each have 7 3/8" holes in them. After drilling all these I only had a dozen or two pieces of saw dust left to clean up. The best thing is that I couldn't even smell the bocote blanks that I drilled. I ran a 5" duct with flex hose to my lathe which is the tool used the most in my shop. I have a 5gallon water bottle top for a collecting cone and it works good. It doesn't catch all the saw dust when I'm cutting with a tool, but catches all the dust from sanding. One of the best tools in my shop.
    Jack

Oneida

Jack I just completed the connection of the duct work, existing was 6" stayed with it . waiting for the filters but bumped the motor and at a very low speed she puts out a lot of air , much greater than my older 3 hp wood tech blower. could be 2 times as much
    I love it already. almost started thinking it was over kill then cam to my senses .
    Bill

Pics! Pics!

Where are the pics??

Jim

pics

OLD system

New system partial install

Ahh, there they are.

I got a sore neck but you sure look good in yellow.

Is that tape on the flex hose between the cyclone and the waste can?

Lookin' good.

Jim

Nice set up. Looks like Oneida has added bracing to the wall mount kit since I got my set up as I had to add the bracing myself.

If you will, I would like to see pictures of how the wynn filters mount to the frame and bottom tray when you get it. It may be an upgrade I consider doing as well.

Thanks

pics

sorry for the side ways pics, I will post a pic for the 300 BL mount that is when I figure out how they will mount.
    Yes flex between the drum and the cyclone.
    Bill

Modified Oneida system greater filter capacity by 5 times

this completes the modification with the BL300 filters from Wynn Environmental for a total of 600 sq ft of filtering area over the 110 that oneida offers with the one filter.
    after initially starting the unit the flow was " in my estimation" 2-3 times what the old style woodtek impellar provided. the system drew every last piece of wood into the cyclone left in the ducting from the old system also had 2 of the 4" ducts open at the time.
    This was a big differance for my shop if you have any questions drop me a line
    the mounting of the new filtersfrom Wynn env. was a breeze there are 2 flanges that I used as guides as I removed one of the gaskets drilled 4 3/8 holes for the 6' 5/16" threaded rod as in the pics. this allowed me support from the bottom of the flange with 2 nuts and a washer .
    also made a flange adapter since the outer diameter of the filter is smaller than the oneida's the id is 8" o.d is 17.5" I applied sealing materiel " from oneida" to the inside of the wood transition at 8" on top and on the dust pan for the bottom. I drilled 4 holes in the wood to run the threaded rod thru for additional support with 2 more nuts each and a washer. this also allowed me to get additional support for the filters.
    the 17.5" od of the wood allows the use of the clips on the dust pan to be functional the same as the oneida unit would have
    the 4 clips release easily to empty the pan when needed
    all in all it was a great upgrade and I beleive to be an improvement to the stock oneida system.

modified filters wynn installed