Thread: Couple of gloats...

Talking Couple of gloats...

Okay so I’ve been less then active on the Creek lately, though been still checking in and reading regularly. Mostly everything by lathes have seen has been all production stuff, about 20 items a month for the past 3 months. Something to help out after 4 years of turning – proper sharpening equipment! I was finally able to pick up an 8” variable speed grinder and PSI’s sharpening jig setup (both on sale at Amazon). All of the tools sharpened great with little effort, though I need to get better at the bowl gouges, I burnt the edges a bit.

grinder.jpg
    Second gloat was my first high end pen . PSI’s Majestic black T/N fountain with rosewood, 5 coats of rattle can liquor and a whole lot of polishing/buffing. Customer wanted it like glass, but it ended up being too glossy, so I knocked it down a bit. Have orders for 4 more after showing off this one.

1stmajestic.jpg
    Side notes – this was my first use of my home brew photo tent, it’s a cut up cardboard box with some fabric wrapped around it. Not bad for 10 mins worth of work! Just need to work on the lighting some more. Next up after surgery next month, baby crib for our first child due in July. Guess that makes it four gloats!

Congrats on the sharpening system. The pen is beautiful. The pic's look great so the tent looks like it is working fine.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Very nice looking pen Wayne! Congrats on your sharpening equipment - it does make a difference!

Good luck on your surgery next month!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Nice pen....congrats on the sharpening equipment!

BIG CONGRATS on the upcoming baby!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Better get your turning in now. Time will be short, very short after July.

The good news is that it lightens up after about 18 years.

Congrats all around.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Nice stuff!

Wayne, Looks like a great set up! I need to update my grinder as it starts sometimes and sometimes not! But I give it a spin and it will go! It is 20yrs old so it does not owe me a thing. If you are still burning the gouges back off the pressure some and let the wheel do the work. The weight of your hand and tool is all it takes.

Have fun,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Wayne that's a great looking sharpening setup. It will sure help. Beautiful looking pen and I like the finish. My main question is where can I get some of that rattle can "LIQUOR". I think that would be great to have on hand. Even better that smelling lacquer fumes.LOL.
    Sorry I couldn't help myself. I am the worlds worst speller.

Steve

What can I say Steve, I've got booze on the brain!