Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creekers Weekend Accomplishments....

Creekers Weekend Accomplishments....

16 Feb 2009

Good Morning to ya,

Well, it's been a VERY busy week this past week for me at the day job. Data migrations, consolidations, and working with a consultant. All that only took me almost 90 hours at work this past week....so...needless to say that I did not get a chance to work on the final coats of lacquer for the walnut kitchen table. I actually get to be off work today and tomorrow so, unless I get called in to work? I'll be able to get the baby done. I will do my best to post pics next week.

It was church yesterday and yes I did play bass at church again as I do this week as well. They keep asking me to play and I keep accepting.

I'm thinking about trying NetFlix for the very first time and since we don't do cable TV or any type of satellite tv, I thought this would be a good way for us to see movies that we want to see without having to spend the big dollars for going to a theater. We've only been to 4 theater movies since our kids have been born (19 years now) due to it costing so much to take a family of 6 to the movies. So....I'm would like to here what your experiences with NetFlix has been if you use such a service.

That's it for me this week. I'm going to work really hard on being a part of Karl's Weekend Doin's so I can participate there as well.

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Saturday.....cleaned the shop and played with little Riley!

Sunday.......worked on a HF and played with little Riley!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Good Morning,

Biggest weekend accomplishment was resawing about 525' of red oak to make blanks to run through my moulding machine at a later date for plantation blind shutters. When done, I re-ran of estimated needs and it appears I'm still short, so need to buy some more raw stock. Resawing is not at the top of my enjoyable lists.

Blog Entries
    Made some major advances in my radiator cover project in that I got all of the fronts assembled. That entailed ten dozen slats to be slipped into their respective mortices. I expected it to be a real PITA, but in actuality, it wasn't much of a struggle at all. Had the guys over for the Daytona 500 coverage as usual and I am really struggling with whether to write NASCAR a letter stating my serious lack or respect for them in not penalizing their poster boy Dale Earnhardt Jr for the mental lapse he demonstrated in the race!
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!

Saturday I finished welding up a stand for my metal cutting bandsaw. I based it on a plan I found on the Internet and it works much nicer than the flimsy stock stand but I do wish I'd made it taller. While the paint was drying I took the machine mostly apart and thoroughly cleaned it.

Sunday I built a cherry mirror for my daughter's bathroom to match the vanity I finished last week, and started on a maple mirror for her bedroom to match the dresser I finished in December. The cherry mirror is just a simple frame joined with pocket screws with a rabbet for the glass and back. The maple mirror will be similar construction but will have a curve and a cap at the top to match the dresser.

Both days I also spent about 4 hours working since I have a project I need to get wrapped up by the end of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Voorhees View Post
    Dale Earnhardt Jr for the mental lapse he demonstrated in the race!
    What? Isn't that how you are supposed to merge into traffic?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 02-16-2009 at 9:25 AM.

Not much in the way of woodworking, although I did attend the Detroit Woodturners meeting Sunday - got some instruction on segmented turning. Took my wife to dinner Friday and a tour around the Detroit Art Institute (guess you could count the period furniture viewing as woodworking grin!). Saturday was our Bike Club's Chili Cook-Off - glorb!! Fun and friends. Sunday I also watched the race, and like Fred, was truly disappointed in Junior. Disappointed also with NASCAR for not penalizing him 5 laps like they did for a similar violation in the Saturday race. Well, I guess its become entertainment, kind of like rassling.
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Dennis, NetFlix is a nice service and I'm sure your family will enjoy it.

Saturday was the normal equestrian stuff. Sunday, well...you could say I was woodworking, but it was with a chain saw and the Kubota tractor, cutting up and clearing away the debris from half of a very large ash tree that came down in the wind last week. The section of trunk that I had to deal with was much larger than my saw's bar, but multiple cuts (that actually intersected most of the time... ) got the job done. Needless to say, I'm very tired and sore...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Got the compost pile turned. Looks nice, haven't touched it since Rita when it was 5 feet tall.
    Last edited by Kevin Arceneaux; 02-16-2009 at 9:44 AM.

Saturday- went to see my Grandma in the nursing home as I normally do. Then headed to the store and purchased a new medicine cabinet for the wife. (needed a quick fix for the old one). Then went and bought the wife a new cell phone. Played with baby. Went to church and after that watched a movie with the wife.

Sunday-watched the race, worked on a small project for the chicken coop, and cleaned it out. Played with the baby a bunch. I did not get to continue assembly for the new table saw, but that is what I am doing tonight.

Everyone have a good week, and be safe.

My beloved

Got some armoires Ive been promising my wife for a year sanded and ready for lacquer. You can only put a wife off for so long before the "when are you going to do my stuff" question wears you out, at least thats the way it is at my house. It like water on a stone it inevitable.

Heres the shop Fox doing a nice job on the casings, I made a nice crown and base set for the room with this machine.
    You can see the Armoires in the background with the doors and drawers off ready to spray with some post catalyzed ultra solids lacquer I use. Only the best for my honey

Here she is doing her Vanna White thing, all happy

William
    http://woodworkers.us
    I never lost money on a job I didn't get

Since it was Valentines Day, I was busy with work, however I did find time for woodworking on Sunday Afternoon.

Jennifer was "bugging" me to do Lathe work, I said no, she said yes, I said no, she said "O.K. then can I do some chiseling?" I said, "No, lets make a pen.

Here are a couple pictures on the new turner. The third pic is a little out of focus. I will post new pics over in the Turner's Forum later today.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Vortex! What Vortex?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mioux View Post
    Since it was Valentines Day, I was busy with work, however I did find time for woodworking on Sunday Afternoon.

Jennifer was "bugging" me to do Lathe work, I said no, she said yes, I said no, she said "O.K. then can I do some chiseling?" I said, "No, lets make a pen.

Here are a couple pictures on the new turner. The third pic is a little out of focus. I will post new pics over in the Turner's Forum later today.
    Smart choice to "make a pen" Joe.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

My weekend consisted of working on the planter box. I built 4 of these for my parents and my wife's parents as thank you gifts when we got married (wow - nearly 3 years ago).

I found out that my son is still sensitive to the noise of the planner - see the "14 month old..." thread for info about that.

I managed to get most of all the parts cut to size - I figure I've got about another 16-20 hours and I'll have one of them built. I've got enough wood to build at least another one and maybe a third IF the wood doesn't have a ton of knots. Best thing - this wood came FREE - a couple was putting siding on the house and this was on the side as accent for the 1970 style. 4" thick, 8" wide up to 48" long - longer if they didn't cut them in half.

Not much else accomplished other than getting my MythDora box up and going - which I need to log into Tivo and cancel the subscription for it.

Michael

PS: Netflix - good deal on it - depends on your available time to watch movies. Plus you can watch movies online too, that selection is growing every day too. Worth doing the 1 at a time unlimited. I can watch on on Saturday, mail it Monday and have a new one on Wednesday - if I watched it that night, I'd more likely get one Saturday again.
    Last edited by Michael Schumacher; 02-16-2009 at 3:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mioux View Post
    Here are a couple pictures on the new turner.
    Joe, I see that Cyclone in the back of the first picture, and you've got the main line choked down to a 4" pipe? Please tell me that is just a temporary situation. Seems a waste of a lovely cyclone.

My weekend is still happening now. Last year we had a new holiday added in February. I gather that most of you have the same day off. Most folks still don't really know what to do with themselves. Folks aren't used to it. Can't go to the cottage. Most outdoor stuff is not working due to either the season, or the recent melt.

I've made two pinewood derby cars so far today. #3 is still pondering his design. Of course we can't complete things, since I need to get to the store (closed, due to holiday) for some steel bar stock to be able to add weight to the cars.

I've also been working on a serving tray this weekend for my folks. I've got two designs and I think I'll end up making both and then decided on which to give them.

happy day!
    "It's Not About You."

I finally have something to contribute to the "Weekend Accomplishments" thread!

I started a couple weeks ago, but finished it this weekend. First real project, for the wife of course: silverware tray out of common cherry. A good first time project for me: handcut DT's, glued up bottom panel, dado, rabbets, etc - and it came out square and sits level!

Okay, I got to this point and realized I can't upload the same pics twice...so if you get curious enough about this little project, you'll have to head over to http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=104630 where I posted in the Neanderthal section.

So my twice-gloat attempt has completed failed...for what good is a gloat without pictures.