Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delta vs Rigid 6" Jointer

Delta vs Rigid 6" Jointer

I've been considering purchasing a jointer for some time. I don't think I need nor have room for an 8", so I've been eyeing the Delta 6". It's available new for about $249 plus tax and shipping. A new, never used Rigid 6 1/8" came up on craigslist for $380. My local HD says the the price is $429. So, I think the craigslist is too high even though supposedly not used, it likely is out of waranty. So, can anyone provide any comments on the Delta vs Rigid and price value comparisons (ie. I noticed the Rigid has a 1/4HP larger motor). I grew up a Delta guy so need to get a fix on other brands. Thanks.

I'm also in the market for a Jointer, and I'd be interested to hear the replies. One comment is that I can't find the Delta Jointer for under $400. Is it the Delta JT360?

I've heard nothing but good reviews on the 6" Ridgid, so I'm leaning to that one. My local HD had the table saw I bought 1 year ago (TS 3650) marked down from $579 to $399. At $399, that's a steal! Anyway, maybe the jointer will go on sale too? I think the Jointer used to be $479 until recenlty, so maybe it's already on sale.

One idea I've been toying with is the Jet 10" Jointer/Planer combo. It's brand new, so very little reviews yet. But I already have a nice Delta lunchbox Planer (22-380) so all I really need is the jointer. But everyone around here seems to be anti-6", so the 10" capacity on the new Jet unit is appealing. As of right now, I'm leaning to just buying a seperate 6" jointer. Anyway, the Jet is something to consider (and it's only $419).

-Greg

Hi Greg,

Yes, I was comparing the Delta JT-360. It's listed at $249.99 on www.woodworker.com (plus tax and shipping). Yes, a lot of creekers are pro 8" or larger, but I've never surfaced planed much, so I think a 6" would do fine (I've never even had a good 6" in 30+ yrs of wood working; moslty by hand when needed). Looking forward to what others have to say.

I have the RIDGID.

It's a solid machine, but a little tippy on wheels.

Also, it's just not long enough. Given the chance, I'd go back in time and get something with a longer table.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by BOB OLINGER View Post
    I've been considering purchasing a jointer for some time. I don't think I need nor have room for an 8", so I've been eyeing the Delta 6". It's available new for about $249 plus tax and shipping. A new, never used Rigid 6 1/8" came up on craigslist for $380. My local HD says the the price is $429. So, I think the craigslist is too high even though supposedly not used, it likely is out of waranty. So, can anyone provide any comments on the Delta vs Rigid and price value comparisons (ie. I noticed the Rigid has a 1/4HP larger motor). I grew up a Delta guy so need to get a fix on other brands. Thanks.

I've had the Ridgid 6" for several years now and have been very happy with it. I've never found the bed length to be a problem and it has plenty of power and very good build quality.

Personally, I really wouldn't consider one of the smaller combo units from Jet if I already had a lunchbox planer. That 22-580 just does too good a job at what it does in my opinion to be replaced with a combo.

Jim in Idaho

I also have the ridgid. I have had it for a about two years I think. Mine is the old gray color that was replaced by the orange colored ones. It was a floor model that looked like they may have used it for a demo. I got it for $100 (gloat) and it has been a really solid machine. I have not found the bed length to be an issue for me.

The Delta JT360 is the lighter of the two Delta 6" models. It's a functional jointer and is a very nice deal at $250 or less. The Ridgid has a more rugged fence, but the deal on the Delta would be calling me loudly, unless s/h is a deal breaker. Both will dimension lumber for you.

Grizzly is now carrying a Steelex 6" jointer that looks to be a clone of the JT360....$240 plus s/h...$316 delivered.
    Last edited by scott spencer; 02-16-2009 at 1:20 PM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I bought a slightly used Ridgid 6" on Ebay a few months ago for $215. It was a steal, and those deals don't come along too often. I really like it. It is solid, tables are flat, and does a great job. As far as the tippy part, before I ever turned it on, I bolted a couple of 2x4's across each end extending the width, then put on the wheels. Have had no problem with it being tippy.

Quote Originally Posted by scott spencer View Post
    The Delta JT360 is the lighter of the two Delta 6" models. It's a functional jointer and is a very nice deal at $250 or less. The Ridgid has a more rugged fence, but the deal on the Delta would be calling me loudly, unless s/h is a deal breaker. Both will dimension lumber for you.

Grizzly is now carrying a Steelex 6" jointer that looks to be a clone of the JT360....$240 plus s/h...$316 delivered.
    Goodness, $316 is a very nice price for a 6" jointer (although I know nothing about Steelex). Also, the price on the Delta JT360 from www.woodworker.com is quite tempting too! Those prices might steer me away from the $429 Ridgid jointer, which I'm sure is probably the best of the three.

I looked at the JT360 on woodworker.com and it does look nice but be aware they want $108 to ship it which may or may not be a deal breaker for you.

I have the Ridgid and i"m quite satisfied with it. They are being sold for around $325 at the local Home Depots. When I was shopping for mine I compared it to an open stand Delta. If they were the same price I would buy the Ridgid. If I could get the Delta for a hundred less, I would probably go with the Delta. I think the fit and finish on the Ridgid is better. The fence adjusting mechanism on the Ridgid allows it to take up less space if that is a concern.

Ray, I'd gloat, too, if I pulled it off for $100 - good job. The Rigid offered locally is gray, too, but a bit higher asking price!!!!!!!

I just bought the Delta for the $249 price. I missed the $199 offer on units at the Rockler store as they sold out by 8:30 one morning.

Mine is replacing my previous Delta benchtop model so it is a ton better. I've had a little bit of problem getting it adjusted just right but it feel plenty powerful enough. Just surface and edge jointed 15bf of maple for a table top I'm making and it worked great. One thing for sure my shopvac based DC can't come close to keeping things clean. My advice, the Delta is a great piece at this cost.

i love my ridgid jointer for the most part except for the blade guard which is designed with an opening that's 3/4" high to discourage you from jointing stock that's too thin. i can understand if it was 1/8" or even 1/2" but 3/4"?!? give me a break... i end up pushing it out of the way with one of the grout floats as i feed the wood through with the other one until the blade guard engages.

15. Quote Originally Posted by Greg Carr View Post
    I have the Ridgid and i"m quite satisfied with it. They are being sold for around $325 at the local Home Depots.
    Wow, $325, really? I thought the current $429 price is standard (across all HDs). If I found it for $325 at my local HD I'd probably buy it right then.

-Greg