block of wood: $12
    Time lost watching videos: $$$$

First bowl: Priceless..

Be kind... im still learning

~Brian

Very Nice

Very nice bowl, great work !! Beautiful wood! G

Brian,
    I only wish my first was that good. Great job bringing out the colors in the
    wood. Make sure you sign it and number it as your #1 bowl, so you can look back and see how far you have come. Well Done.
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

Are you sure that's your first one. You seem to be catching on quickly. Only one critique and might just be the picture. It seems like the inside part of bowl isn't consistent with the outside of the bowl. I think the inside seems more box like where as the outside is rounded on the bottom. Just a thought.

Brian.....excellent first bowl! Nicely done Sir!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by alex carey View Post
    Are you sure that's your first one. You seem to be catching on quickly. Only one critique and might just be the picture. It seems like the inside part of bowl isn't consistent with the outside of the bowl. I think the inside seems more box like where as the outside is rounded on the bottom. Just a thought.
    You are correct about the inside of the bowl.. The bottom is a little flat. I kept thinking i was going to cut into the chuck (beginner nerves?).

very nice... the first bowl, enjoy

Nicely done.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Glass View Post
    Make sure you sign it and number it as your #1 bowl, so you can look back and see how far you have come. Well Done.
    This way it will be worth a lot of money some day, when... you know
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

very nice bowl even if it was you 50th one
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

I think you did a great job. I'm doing my 4th one now. The first three I did over a year or more ago. I'm having more trouble with my forth than the other three put together. It sure isn't going to turn out as nice as your first. Like I said, great job.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian McDermaid View Post
    I kept thinking i was going to cut into the chuck (beginner nerves?).

I had the same problem with my (almost) first bowl. I could've made it better but it was green Black Acacia and i had it in a expanding chuck and it went into orbit before i got the chance to finish it. So soon I will actually make my first bowl from start to finish. I got a nice piece of walnut to work.

Brian - Congrats on your first bowl - sure is a beauty! Really nice wood! Looking forward to seeing bowl #2! Have fun with it!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Great looking bowl, Brian! What kind of finish did you use? That wood is really nice and you did a great job.

All the best.

Don

very nice. Love the wood.

Dave

Some mistakes are just too much fun to only make once!

Great piece of wood! I found on my first bowls that the shape was very similar to yours - very square edged and straight walled. Don't be afraid to remove quite a bit of wood from the bottom outside corners when shaping the outside, you'll get less of the straight sided look and more of a smooth curve all the way to the lip.