Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My first bowl: Ambrosia Maple

Great Job! I wish my first was that good. Be careful, my second bowl turned out to be a funnel.
    Gary

"It is neither wealth nor splendor, but tranquility and occupation which give happiness. " Thomas Jefferson

Looks great Brian, good job!

Brian you're off to the races now!! Looks great for a first bowl!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Great looking first bowl out of some beautiful wood. I would sign and date the bowl. Keep it for comparing to future bowls as you gain experience.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Beautiful bowl - love the wood. Don't ever give that bowl away - sign and date it and as you get better, you can look back at your first one and see how you have improved. Nice Job!

Quote Originally Posted by Don Carter View Post
    Great looking bowl, Brian! What kind of finish did you use? That wood is really nice and you did a great job.

All the best.

Don
    The finish is EEE Ultra-Shine and Shelawax (sanded to 400 grit first).

Nice first bowl, I love Ambrosia Maple. I wish I was smart enough to pull up short on the bottom of my first bowl. My first bowl has a spot in the middle that you can almost see through that I had to CA to make it strong enough to stay in place.

Only critique I have is (I can't tell if you have a finish on it), it looks like you sanded with the lathe speed up a little high. The wood looks like is has been burnished to a shine. If you sand at a lower speed you don't build up as much heat and come out with a "softer" appearing finish while still being smooth.

Great Job!

Bear

Thanks for the comments guys!!

This forum had some great answers to my questions...

My chuck question: You guys 'up sold' me to a better (more $$$) chuck. So far I'm loving the Nova Midi Chuck.

My gouge question: The PSI bowl gouge was GREAT advice. I wasted about 1 inch of steel trying to learn how to do a fingernail grind . A $20 gouge was perfect for that!!! (BTW... there is a great video on sharpening turning tools on another website. I'm not sure of the SMC forum rules or I'd post the link... but it was a HUGE help)

~Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Belton Garvin View Post
    Only critique I have is (I can't tell if you have a finish on it), it looks like you sanded with the lathe speed up a little high. The wood looks like is has been burnished to a shine. If you sand at a lower speed you don't build up as much heat and come out with a "softer" appearing finish while still being smooth.

Great Job!

Bear
    You bring up a great point!!!! I have no idea what i need to do a proper finish on a bowl .

I had the lathe on its slowest speed (~500 rpm but i haven't tach'd it to confirm). I used the thin strip of Turners Sandpaper that i use on pens and they didn't do a very good job (or i didn't do it right).

Whats the best way to sand a bowl? (tools and technique)

~Brian

Great looking first bowl! Has a lot of nice color and a pleasing shape. On bowls I prefer to power sand. Just chuck up a 2or3 inch disc and go through the grits. Don't seem to have as much trouble with the circular sand marks when I power sand.Other wise just go throiugh the grits with a good piece of paper torn into 1/4 sheets and folded twice. Light hand pressure and slow speed will get you there. Again...great first bowl!...Bill..

Quote Originally Posted by Brian McDermaid View Post
    Nova Midi Chuck: $90
    Gouge's & Scrapper's from PSI: $50
    Wolverine Veri-grind jig: $50
    block of wood: $12
    Time lost watching videos: $$$$

First bowl: Priceless..

Be kind... im still learning

~Brian
    You got that right!
    VERY nice choice of wood and a GREAT first bowl!
    (Honest! - kind enough?
    Change One Thing

Wow very nice job. if that's your first, i cant wait to see your 2nd...Jeff
    Jeff
    "There's is only one way to turn wood....Safely"