Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Saw Stop is here

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer
    We have had some fun with this one!
    I agree - but folks -- we are wandering off course again lets try to stay with the initial intent of the thread:

I saw the ad or article (forget which) in the latest issue of FWW. How many folks do you think will lay out the 2200 (+ extra for goodies) for a "PM66 equivalent" for this safety factor?

There was a long thread here about Saw Stop a while ago.

Thoughts?

"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

Ken,
    I think people would if the saw is that good. Tyler just bought a PM66 and did not nind paying an extra $175 fot 2 extra HP that he wasn't sure he needed. All the cars have air bags and we are paying for that...I am glad they are there and I don't drive more recklessly because they are there. I think if it is a fine quality saw a few extra $ for that kind of safety is well worth it. As I said , if you had a serious accident, you would wish your saw had it.
    The only downside is if you want to use your tablesaw for cutting hot dogs....it can be a problem..
    Last edited by Mark Singer; 07-10-2004 at 11:53 AM.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer
    Ken,
    The only downside is if you want to use your tablesaw for cutting hot dogs....it can be a problem..
    Naw you would just have to push it through with a piece of wood
    Daniel

Steve, I applaud you for coming here defending and explaining your product. One question I have is. This has been in developement for several yrs. correct? I have never seen any data concerning failure rates. Surely this has been tested thousands of times.

I still don't understand how this could not be retrofitted to other saws. Basically all saw mechanisms are similar in construction. As a retrofit I feel people would pay up to $400-500 for this to fit existing saws.

Ian, I believe you made some very good points. Especially about using sharp blades. A sharp blade will make the saw and user work so much easier and safer.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Gass

I think anyone who is so confident in their perfection that they don't worry about making a mistake using their tablesaw is living in a delusion.
    Steve

I agree with you. That is why I am so certain of my own fallibility that I think about every cut I make (100s a day) before I make it. A serious accident would cost me my livelihood and I am not willing to lose it.

The point that I was trying to make, and probaly failed, was that Sawstop is a great technology just like the air bags and anti-lock brakes on my car are great technology. But they dont avoid the need for me to learn how to drive or stop at red traffic lights. They don't enable me to drive safely when I am dog tired or concentrating on the actions of a back seat passenger.

I firmly believe that the best safety feature that a saw manufacturer could install is a good instruction manual and some clear guidance of how to use the tool safely. All the time that people get most of this information from TV programs there is little chance of improving accident rates.

The other thing to bear in nimd is that even if the insatllation of Sawstop technology was made mandatory on new saws tomorrow it would probably take 20-30 years for the majority of the tools in use to have it. That means there is still plenty of time left in which the important safety message needs to be pushed home.

Out of interest Steve, do you supply a push stick with the saw? The one I have (Elektra Beckum - Don't think you would see it over there) came with a pushstick that bore the legend "Ich bin ersatzbar - dein hande nicht" which shows where the saw is made - Germany. It translates as "I am replaceable - your hand isn't". Every time I switch the saw on that line goes through my head and I puck up a push stick. Perfect? - nowhere close - Careful? - definitely.

I lost my left thumb to the first knuckle back in '81. My boss said, "naw, we don't need that blade guard on there, it's too much trouble."
    Does this make me want to buy one of these new puppys? I don't think so. I just want to learn to use my old one properly. I keep the blade guard on mine (or at least the splitter) unless I'm doing dados.
    I will probably end up using one of these in the future since I work for the govt. and they usually get sold these because they are "safer" then the rest.
    FWW is supposed to get one of these and then do a complete test. I'm looking forward to that article.

Ian, Very Good, I'm thinking of printing that up and showing the guys at work (they're prisoners, don't have access to the sawmill )

Pat,

Someone just posted a TS accident...took 6 stitches for a 1/2" cut. It is interesting that you specifically state that you still wouldn't be interested in this technology. Most who've had digits removed would, in hindsight, wish they woulda had such a device.

I do think, for the cost, that these table saws may end up in gov't buildings or companies...it might give their insurance premiums a break...maybe.

Steve, do you have a feel for the type of people pre-ordering your TS? Are they mostly hobbiests or mostly companies or ??? Just curious...ignore my question if you consider that a bit sensitive to post.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

One thing to remember about the auto industry is that the manufacturer is not allowed to patent a new safety device. This is patented so no one will be able to manufacture it without paying royalties to SS. In the auto industry they get ahead with new safety devices by jumping ahead of the competition and getting a 1 to 3 year head start, but nothing stops Toyota from including something that was invented by Volvo except the additional cost. Someone in the auto industry can answer this with more certainty.
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

I thought I'd resurrect this thread in case any new guys hadn't seen it or someone here actually purchased one of these saws and can comment on it.

I had checked thier website a couple of weeks ago and they were still taking orders but no saws have been reviewed by any of the WW rags. FWW mentioned that they would when the become GA.
    Rich

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
    - General George Patton Jr

Angry I know never say never

I know never say never but after how this company and the inventor went about trying to legislate this product I will never buy one! At least not from them! If it has any success at all there will be clones of this device out the wazooo.
    Thats enough as if I go farther I will be edited and the discussion will deviate to the previous beaten to death horse.
    Chris
    "I have worked myself up from nothing to extreme poverty." Groucho Marx
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChrisPineWorkshop

Well Said!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Grumbine
    During the entire Saw Stop debacle I have been very vocal in opposing their initial marketing strategy, which was to impose this thing on us by government fiat. I even wrote the owner/inventor of the thing to express my opinion on the matter.

However, I applaud them for taking it to the marketplace. Personally I do not see the value. Yes, there is a value there, but is it a cost effective value? I do not think so, and so I would not buy one. However, if they get enough people to think so and buy one, then they have succeeded in the free market, which is the way it should be.

Bill
    Well said Bill! I concur!
    Chris Pine
    "I have worked myself up from nothing to extreme poverty." Groucho Marx
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChrisPineWorkshop

Latest I've Heard

I spent quite a while looking very closely at the SawStop cabinet saw during IWF 2004 in Atlanta. Clearly they understand that the saw must be the "best saw in its class" regardless of the blade brake. They have included a good number of improvements to the now decades-old competing cabinet saw designs.

One has been delivered to Kelly Mehler. Look for a review in the upcoming FWW issue of the next.

Mine is supposed to be in the next shipment. I will certainly post here if I am asked for payment and if it arrives and is put into service.

SawStop will honor pricing listed at the time a preorder is placed. The original price was $2199 + $200 for the 36" fence (or $300 for the 52"). Current pricing is $2499 + $289 due to increases from the manufacturer. I suppose that's consist with the runup we've seen in steel prices lately. At 635 pounds ("wet") for the 36" version there's a fair amount of steel involved.

Anyone else heard anything?

Dave,

Glad you joined up and welcome to SMC! I am anxious to hear thoughts about this TS...it does surely look quite beefy. What TS do you currently run right now?

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Pine
    I know never say never but after how this company and the inventor went about trying to legislate this product I will never buy one! At least not from them! If it has any success at all there will be clones of this device out the wazooo.
    Thats enough as if I go farther I will be edited and the discussion will deviate to the previous beaten to death horse.
    Chris
    Here ya go

Jay
    Jay St. Peter