Thread: First Post

First Post

Been lurking awhile, joined yesterday. Trying this message largely as a test to see how messaging on the forum works.

I've made three shawl pins for my daughter's birthday tomorrow. Never tried to work wood to produce such small artifacts. An example is attached: cocobolo, about two inches across the buckle. This wood his been around my shop for 35 years waiting for a project. Two other designs are in walnut and cocobolo; all were somewhat challenging because they are so small.

Tools: Bandsaw, Drill Press, Jig Saw, Dremel Sanding Drum, Files, Sandpaper.
    Finish: Watco Penetrating Oil.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very pretty work Dave. I'm sure your daughter will love them. Nothing better than having a gift that was personally made.

Oh, and welcome!

Jim

Welcome, great gift there. I m sure you will find the regulars extremely helpful. I sure have.

Blog Entries
    Welcome. That pin is a beauty. BTW, what kind of bait did you use to catch the guy in the red shirt?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Welcome aboard.

That is a cool looking pin. I bet it took patience which I was once told is a virtue that I have been blessed with remarkably little.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Welcome David! Nice work on the shawl pins, and even better work on noodling that fish That is how you caught it, wasn't it?

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.

Nice Pin

and welcome aboard.
    Retired, living and cruising full-time on my boat.
    Currently on the Little Tennessee River near Knoxville

Blog Entries
    David
    Beautiful craftmanship. My wife wants you to adopt her. She is a Knitter and a Weaver.She saw this thread and I am sure that a few are in my future also. Thanks Buddy....
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

Nice intro.

Welcome to the Creek and don't forget that we love PICS!!!
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Welcome to the creek, you'll love it here!!

Nice job on the pin, she will love it!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey Torres View Post
    Nice intro.

Welcome to the Creek and don't forget that we love PICS!!!
    Here is a shot of the other two designs. One in cocobolo and the other in black walnut. If anyone wants other photos, send me a private message with a regular e-mail address so I can attach. (Please say if you have wide-band or not so I won't overload you.)

Thanks all for the welcome to Sawmill Creek. Daughter was very pleased with the shawl pins today. Woodworking comes in handy sometimes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

12. Welcome to the creek, I don't post much, But you will find a lot of nice people and info here

Lewis