Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BAND SAW POLL ie: which to buy?

Question BAND SAW POLL ie: which to buy?

Hey everybody, YES I've read all the threads on bandsaws, NO this isnt my first new tool. OK -I'm usually really good at this BUT- Too many choices of decent bandsaws- So here's your chance to vote.

Band saw choices
    A - Delta 28-682 18" for $1075
    B- Rikon 10-345 18" for $1149
    C- ShopFox 1707 18" for $975
    D- Grizzly GO513X2 17" for $995
    E- Rikon 10-325 14" for $749 (13" resaw)
    F - drive 1000 miles round trip for a Rikon 10-340 (older version of 10-345) for $650

MOney matters aside, which of those listed would you buy ?

Just in case I overlooked something about them all ? Yeah , Ya can't go wrong with any of them, but then again? Please dont just vote for the one you have (or for a big $$ Laguna or similar) I don't do much resawing, mostly bowl blanks and curves / furniture legs and the like.

Thanks to all
    Elvis isn't dead, he just went home Yes, I am a joker - Take it with a grain of salt

Hank, I have the Rikon 10-325, it has plenty of power and resaws really well and does the small stuff well also. and a big plus is the blade change is really fast and easy. it has enough capicity to do most needs and if you dont do a lot of resawing its cheeper
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

I had the exact same question a year ago. I stewed over it every day for months as I saved the pennies. Ultimately everything lined up for me and I bought the Grizzly, with no regrets.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

4. I don't have one, but I would reccomend the Grizzly. There are lots of good reviews, and many members here own the saw. (wish I had one )

You say you don't do much resawing, but I would definitley buy the one that has the capability to resaw and the one with the strongest motor. I didn't check the stats to see if they were 110 or 220, but that's another consideration.

Another piece of advice I could give is basing a descision on the wheels. Cast aluminum wheels seem to the norm for todays bandsaws, but I have heard 2nd hand that bandsaws with cast iron wheels really have some momentum (and some require a brake to stop them when you switch it off) Which comes in handy for resawing.

I only mention this because it's inevitable that we ALL test the limits of our tools at some point.

Or you could join the multi-orgasmic goo goo over granite. Let's see....Stone wheels? Hmmmmm? Sounds kinds cave man to me. Anybody ever see a granite countertop fracture?
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Griz hands down out of those!
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Grizz here too. Love mine.

I have a Grizzly G0513, and I really like it. I am sure the extreme version is even better, but I was stretching things to get what I got. I am sure the other bandsaws are great, but I would give serious consideration to the Grizzly.

Satisfied Griz 513x2 owner here! Would do it again, easily. No complaints. It is smooth as silk, will resaw to 12", and is quiet!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jose Kilpatrick View Post
    I don't have one, but I would reccomend the Grizzly.
    I do have one, and I would recommend the Grizzly.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Anyone own the new JET 16" or 18" bandsaw? A dealer here in town has them on display and do they ever look stout. very well built with a heaver gage steel than one would expect.

"Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Rikon 10-345 18"

Well , my Jet 14" went b-bye last night ! NOW I have to buy a new saw ! I'm flippin' a coin
    Elvis isn't dead, he just went home Yes, I am a joker - Take it with a grain of salt

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Satisfied Griz 513x2 owner here! Would do it again, easily. No complaints. It is smooth as silk, will resaw to 12", and is quiet!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    I had the exact same question a year ago. I stewed over it every day for months as I saved the pennies. Ultimately everything lined up for me and I bought the Grizzly, with no regrets.

As much as I hate to jump on a bandwagon... after laying awake at night for a month or so, I got the 513x2 and have been really happy with it.
    “I don’t have a lot of tools because it doesn’t take many to make furniture.” - Rob Millard

+1 Grizzly
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.