Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time poster with latest project (toybox)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

First time poster with latest project (toybox)

I've lurked here for a while now and I really enjoy the knowledge and projects that everyone here shares. I figured it was time I signed up and shared some of my projects with all of you.

My short Bio:

I'm the Director of IT for a small Real Estate Investment firm in South East Michigan. I live in St. Clair Shores with my beautiful wife about 200 yards from Lake St. Clair. I started woodworking as a hobby about 8 years ago and I really love it. I do most of my projects for family and a few times for freinds. I don't enjoy doing paid jobs as it makes it feel more like work rather than an enjoyable hobby.

On to my latest project:

My sister gave birth to her first child on June 9th. A healthy baby boy. I built this toybox as her baby shower gift in April. It is a solid oak toybox with Winnie the Pooh inlaid on the front. It's assembled with 3/4" box joints. I made "Pooh" using scrollsawn marquetry. His fur is made from Aspen, his shirt from bloodwood, his eyes, nose and eyebrows from ebony and the background is cherry. It's finished with 3 coats of polycrylic.

Last edited by Dave Walker; 11-09-2005 at 9:21 AM.

Thumbs up

Dave,
    First, welcome to the Creek. Second, let the raves begin! Absolutely magnificent! The chest is great and the joinery is appropriate and adds alot to the overall appearance but the work on "POOH" takes the cake (or the hunny as it were). I love it. What a lucky kid! Keep those pics coming.
    John

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Dave, welcome to the Creek! Your nephew is a lucky young man - that is a very nice toybox. Everything, including the marquetry looks first rate.

I'm looking forward to more pictures of your work!

Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Great job

The toy box looks great. My wife and I enjoy working together in our wood shop. We have done some paid projects for people at work and some cost-only projects for family. I hesitate to say we do projects for "profit" With the time we spend, we could make more per hour at McDonald's But we built the shop for a hobby and we figure if family members buy the wood and supplies, they help us with our hobby.

Keep up the good work
    John

Excellent work!! Keep the projects coming!

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

Glad to have you aboard the Creek, Dave. Love that Pooh inlay...very nice work.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Welcome! Nice project. And you already understand the rules...you have both an avitar and pictures in your very first post! Kewel!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Welcome Dave !!! Great job !! I like the the Plinth (sp?). Also, great engineering on the hinges. Built to last !
    Rich

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
    - General George Patton Jr

Hi Dave! Welcome to Saw Mill Creek!

That's one beefy toy chest! Do you cut your box joints with a router or on the tablesaw? Is that a brand or signature on the inside of the back panel in the middle? And finally, did you do anything inside the chest (like a till or compartment) or is it an open box?

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch
    Hi Dave! Welcome to Saw Mill Creek!

That's one beefy toy chest! Do you cut your box joints with a router or on the tablesaw? Is that a brand or signature on the inside of the back panel in the middle? And finally, did you do anything inside the chest (like a till or compartment) or is it an open box?
    Hi Todd. Thanks for the welcome.

I cut the box joints using my hitachi M12V router and a jig I made for the router to ride on. Good eye on the brand. Yes, my wife bought me a brand for Xmas from Rockler. It's just an open box on the inside.

Take care.

Dave

Thanks for the welcome and nice words

Just wanted to thank everyone for the warm welcome and nice words about the toybox. My sister loved it and I hope my nephew will get many years of service from it.

Thanks again.

Dave

Dave - Welcome to the Creek. That is some fine craftsmanship! How many hours do you think you put into the project, and in particular, the emblem? Phenomenal work!
    Waymon...
    ...My heroes are not athletes, entertainers or politicians;
    ALL my heroes wear US Armed Forces uniforms...

Welcome Dave. You have one very lucky nephew! I have made several toyboxes over the years but toy boxes are all that mine are -your toybox is a work of art.

I must add a quibble -It's too bad that you did not utilize the "real" Winnie the Pooh as drawn in the A. A Milne books and not the Walt Disney version. Sorry to bug you about this, but the "Disnification" of many things including Winnie the Pooh is a pet peave of miine.
    Last edited by Frank Pellow; 07-09-2004 at 2:32 AM.

Thumbs up

Great Job Dave!!
    "up down touch the ground puts me in the mood. Up down touch the ground puts me in the mood for food"
    My little girl loves POOH see I even know one of the songs.
    Welcome to the Creek!
    Lot of nice people here and a lot of info
    Keep sending the Pics.
    Jim

Dave,
    Very nice work, I like your web site. Keep it up and send more pictures
    Steve