Thread: Making a cut list: are rip or crosscuts preferred?

Making a cut list: are rip or crosscuts preferred?

I've been looking at CutList and CutList Plus software that generate a cut list. Both have the option to favor either rip or crosscuts, or a combination of the two. Why might a woodworker have a preference?

I favor crosscuts because I use a panel saw to dismember sheet goods and want to make as many cuts across the sheet as practical before going to the table saw for the rip cuts. If I were using a table saw to make the initial cuts on a 4x8 sheet, I'd probably favor rip cuts. Likewise I prefer crosscuts on dimensioned lumber because my stock is mostly rough cut boards and I want the stock cut as short as practical before jointing; both for ease of handling and for maximum yield from the jointing operation.

Think about the cuts you need to make to reduce the stock to final size and the tools you use to make those cuts. If it's more convenient for you to make as many crosscuts as possible before making rip cuts you'll want to set your preference to crosscut. Otherwise the preference should be rip cuts.

I use CutList Plus and if there's no obvious preference for a particular job, I'll run layouts both ways and see which gives the best yield from the sheets.
    Last edited by Tom Veatch; 02-16-2009 at 10:25 PM.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

I love CutList Plus and for me, the decision is made for best grain selection. If no grain, like with white melamine panels. i choose th elong rips first because I use the Festool plunge saw and guide rail.
    John Lucas
    woodshopdemos

Quote Originally Posted by John Lucas View Post
    I love CutList Plus and for me, the decision is made for best grain selection. If no grain, like with white melamine panels. i choose th elong rips first because I use the Festool plunge saw and guide rail.
    Do you use any of the features of CutList Plus other than generating the actual cutlist (like cost tracking or inventory)?

Jeff, I agree that it is the strength of your saw that will determine the preference. Conventional tablesaws more likely rip, panel saws and slider saws, crosscut. Can't imagine that it really matters to a Festool guy.

Cutlist Plus is a great program. I love the project pricing features, as well as inventory. I like to be able to add prices and track changes as I buy inventory. I also really like the edgebanding feature. I hated adding that all up manually. It's nice to just have it figured as you go. Everything gets put on a nice bill of materials, which is a good thing to keep, me at least, focused on the task at hand when at the suppliers.

Price is good now as well.

I usually run it both ways and then decide which way looks like it will work best for me. Sometimes one layout wastes more lumber, sometimes it saves lumber. It's only a computer program, so a few extra sheets of paper and a little extra time to run it both ways really pays off.

Charley