Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flamable Rags - Any Simple Rules?

Flamable Rags - Any Simple Rules?

I am a novice refinisher. I have mostly used various Minwax or Cabots pre-mixed stains with a wipe-on poly finish, but I am interesting in experimenting more. I have done samples using Tung oil, BLO, and shellac. I do small pieces mostly - end tables, small drop-leaf tables, chairs, etc. I do about one piece a week for a charity. I work in my attached un-heated garage near Boston (i.e., it gets pretty cold) and I keep my water-based chemicals inside during the winter.

I don't want to burn the house down. I have never had a rag get warm but I believe there is a fire danger. I want to avoid using chemicals that have spontaneous combusion traits. Taking rags outside to air dry is impractical in the snow and ice.

I beleive BLO rags are dangerous. Are there others?

Does it help to seal rags in ZipLoc bags?

Thanks
    Doug, the "Wood Loon"
    Acton, MA

72, slow road cyclist, woodworking dabbler, tool junkie , and
    bonsai enthusiast.
    Now, if I could just stay focused longer than a few weeks...

Store oily stain rags in a closed metal can filled with water. No ziplock or plastic cans. Metal are the best. Most of the time you will be safe with putting them in the garbage but all it takes is one time. I've seen the hot summer sun set blade to a dumpster and the box truck parked next to it because the rags were dumped in the dumpster. A lot of towns have companies that will pick them up for you for a small fee.

I think it is a safe general practice to take the above precaution with ALL rags with finish on them. Even though there may be some more dangerous than others, it just builds a good "Safe Practice Standard" for you and will make it less likely you miss something.

Just this past summer I saw, firsthand, a family almost lose their house (if not for a wonderful fire dept) just a few blocks away from my home because they had been staining a bench and had thrown the rags bunched up in a box and left them on the deck. Maybe not the same scenario but certainly opened my eyes to the danger.

Be safe and have fun!

I take all rags that have been used with thinner or finish and spread them out on the gravel in the yard for several days until they are completely dry/cured. Then I toss them. I used to keep them in a closed metal can, but what do you do later? Eventually you have to dispose of them. That why I switched to drying them outside.

I have a sink in my shop so I wash the rags with Dawn detergent, wring them out and then spread on top of a sawhorse to dry. The next day, I toss them in the trash.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Apparently oil-based finishes generate heat as they cure in the presence of oxugen (what's known as an exothermic reaction). When finish-soaked rags are bunched up in a confined space like a dumpster or trash can and in contact with other flammable materials, this exothermic reaction can lead to temperatures that are high enough to start a fire. If you put rags in a metal container and seal it, there's not enough oxygen to support combustion or the curing process. If the rags are in water, the curing process is also starved for oxygen.

Although the fumes will likely be a problem if you want to work in the room, I believe you can simply spread out the rags on a metal rack that is well away from anything flammable and allow them to dry out if you'd prefer not to spread them on concrete. The keys are a) to avoid bunching them up, and b) keep them away from anything else that burns easily. If the rags are spread out, natural circulation will keep them cooled.

This is one of the reasons I use water-based finishes when I can. Easy cleanup and very minimal fire danger.

I just set them outside under a small rock or spear them with on of the wifes staked flower bed things until they dry, then they get tossed. ALL rags get this treatment. Don't want to mix up the BLO rag and the shelac mess rag.

In the winter...I take all of my finishing rags and drape them over a metal ladder in the shop for a week or so. My shop thermostat is set to 64ºF and they dry in about a week.

In the summer I place them on a chain link gate next to the carport. A week later...into the trash.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

My simple rule is - Dry them out in open air before you throw them out.

A close call with BLO covered rags when I was a kid (basement full of smoke ) has me paranoid. I use BLO and Danish Oil quite a bit. I use a brush on/wipe off process with coats thin enough that I never wind up with rags that are really soaked with finish. When I'm using these finishes and done with the rag I wash it in hot soapy water to remove all the oil. At that point it gets hung up to dry. After I accumulate a few they get run through the washing machine and returned for re-use. I hate to throw anything out that I don't have to. Stain rags and the like get thrown on the burn pile outside and go up in smoke with wood scraps, sticks, yard waste, etc.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Yup. Put them outside away from flammables to dry. My employees apartment complex burned down a few months ago due to his neighbors throwing some oil soaked rags they were using to refinish furniture in the trash. I believe it was linseed oil . . .

http://www.whec.com/article/stories/S629768.shtml

-Brian

Drying the rags is also a good way to prevent spontaneous combustion.

Spread the rags out so the air can dry the oil, and make sure that you don't layer them.

Spontaneous combustion occurs when the heat from oxidation can't escape because of the rags being balled up or placed in layers.

Once the rags are dry, the can be disposed of as normal refuse.

Washing the rags is not a good idea as you are then putting oil and solvent down the drain, where it eventually gets into the ground water.

Regards, Rod.

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.

I spread on the floor

We almost had a fire from Minwax stain. Fortunately, we were stilll in the shop when our eyes started burning. Looking for the source of the irritation, we saw the small pile of rags from the days staining. When we lifted the top few rags, the pile started smoking. We separated the rages and spread them out.
    I have a concrete floor. I now spead the rags on the floor before I go home for the day. As long as they are not stacked up, they will not heat up. Usually the next morning they are dry and go into the dumpster.
    Retired, living and cruising full-time on my boat.
    Currently on the Little Tennessee River near Knoxville

Why mess around?

As several creekers have said, ALL rags go outside to dry. Simply put, if they're not in your house/shop/garage, it'd be hard for them to burn anything down. Foam brushes go out, too.

I also don't see the point in washing them. Once the solvent/oil evaporates outside, the solids are relatively safe (i.e. non-toxic), if Bob Flexner is to be believed. Why put the toxic stuff down the drain?

Disposable Rags

I use disposable surgical gloves whenever I finish.

When I am done, I tuck the rag into the palm of my surgical glove, then pull the glove off my hand and completely envelop the rag. The rag is now in a "baggie" and I squeeze as much air out of the glove as I can before knotting it at the wrist.

Then I place the squeezed-out glove in the palm of my other gloved hand, and pull it tight over the first glove. After squeezing any air out of the the second glove, I knot up the wrist and toss it in the trash.

As previously mentioned in this post, air is the necessary ingredient for the thermal properties to become dangerous. I've checked the gloves at various time intervals for heat, and have never had one heat up on me.

I use mostly BLO, wipe-on varnish and poly.
    Trees. Tools. Time.