Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First piece of "furniture"

Red face First piece of "furniture"

Hi,

This is the first piece of furniture I have ever built, so be gentle It is an entry hall table for keys and junk. It was an ad hoc design as you go project built to fit the area.

Materials: Cherry throughout with a Pomelle Sapelle (sp?) border
    Top: Mitered P/S 5/4 to two pieces of laminated cherry 4/4. The ridge on the underside is used to align the box. The top is glued up with biscuit reinforcement.

The box is 3/4 cherry. I was going to use floating tenons but chickened out. Because of the small size, I figured biscuits would work and used them for all joints. The legs were tapered using a home made tablesaw jig. The tops were rabbeted in two planes so the weight is spread across the tabletop joint.

The drawer box is through dovetailed 3/4 maple. I cheated on the slide and used a ball-bearing 8" slide.

Errors:
    1) minor dust on the finish
    2) When I made the drawer front, I did trim it about 1/16 to compensate for some space between it and the table top... But when I was mounting it to the drawer, the shims used to keep it in place were larger and it sits about 1/16" too low.
    4) drawer box supports are 1/16 out of square at the back. No functional problem, but annoying. (The glue up was really rushed and it started to harden before I had a chance to ensure good alignment - used tightbond III)

Any advice for future projects would be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

Dan....Very nice first piece of furniture! Keep at it! I really like your choice of woods. They work well together.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.

Ken said it all

Nice work.
    Retired, living and cruising full-time on my boat.
    Currently on the Little Tennessee River near Knoxville

Wow, that is quite a first piece. Very nice work. As for the errors, I didn't even noticed the drawer height, until you pointed it out.

And what happened to error 3?
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Good stuff Dan! I've always loved sapple. One thing that adds a little pizazz is to set the apron back a little from the legs. Adds a shadow line if you so desire. Whats next on your list?

looks great!

as far as your errors, "dont ever tell them where you buried the bodies!"

in other words dont tell people your mistakes and they wont know about them!

Dan,

Nice work.

As far as the drawer being 1/16 out, I couldn't see them but it looks like you used Accuride type ball bearing full extension side mount slides. There should be plenty of adjustment built into these, pretty common in a kitchen installation to tweak these into proper adjustment.

And with an applied drawer front there is adjustment there too.

So I guess what I'm saying is that what you think is a mistake should be something you can tweak and it will cease to exist.

Beautiful piece and sorry if I'm missing something that keeps you from adjusting the 1/16" issue.

Very nice table!! Love the wood combos!! Keep em coming!!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Great job, looks great, that wood is very nice looking. What kind of finishing schedule did you use?

A matching mirror might be a great next project, right above the table. Or perhaps a small cabinet in the same place?

Not sure what happened to 3... Me no count good.

Finishing schedule?

Wiped down with tack cloth. Applied with 4x4 gauze. Dried for > 8 hours. Lightly sanded with 0000 steel wool. Re-tacked. Re-applied.

Looking back, I did leave a few pieces of steel wool in the finish. Arrrgh. Any recommendations to reduce particulate contamination.

Next on list is a built-in bay window bench / cabinet-drawer combo. I was going to create a liner using 3/4 maple plywood screwed to the walls and floor. A 5/4 walnut top with 1/4" quarter-rounded front. I was going to use the plywood to support the bench and divide cabinets on both lateral sides from a center section with double drawers. The front facade will be 3/4" face-frame walnut with biscuit joinery.

I was thinking of dressing up the cabinet doors a bit with a diamond mitered center with opposed purpleheart and the pomele sappele - and a walnut border.

thanks
    d
    Last edited by dan lemkin; 02-18-2009 at 4:40 AM.

Beautiful table you did a fine job. I love that sapelle.

Two suggestions

Titebond II creeps less than III.

Can you move the phone to a different room, it takes away from your table.

Quote Originally Posted by John Michaels View Post
    Beautiful table you did a fine job. I love that sapelle.

Two suggestions

Titebond II creeps less than III.

Can you move the phone to a different room, it takes away from your table.
    That is a good point, this was the first project I have used TBIII for... I do like TB2 better... I used the gorilla wood glue for the drawer box - b/c it dries clear.... seems ok.

I agree... but it is an old house with few phone jacks. Unfortunately it is a moot point, b/c although I put in a drawer to keep stuff off the top, it will be covered with @#)$( when my wife comes home from work and unloads (keys, purse, stethoscope, misc ids... (i am guilty as well)... I should put a piece of glass on top of it to protect it....

Can I just lay the glass on top, or do I need plastic feet to allow it to "breath"

Excellent work ,miters look perfect!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Dan, very nice. Overall look of the table is just right. Keep up the good work!

dan,

NICE JOB !!!
    MARK