Thread: G0555

Thumbs down Update: Grizzly loses a customer.

Just put my G0555 together. Can anyone who owns one tell me if theirs vibrates? Mine visibly vibrates pretty badly when I start it up and when I turn if off. When it is running there is some very noticable vibration as well, but not as bad as when I first turn it on or when I turn it off. There seems to be a harmonic that it is hitting durring the ramp-up/ramp-down time. Is this normal?
    Last edited by Wayne Johnson; 07-27-2004 at 4:52 PM. Reason: updated title

My Ridgid did the same thing and I found the belt loose and the motor out of alingment. Might be worth a check.
    David

I've had a G0555 for about two years and it has run perfectly from day one. Give Grizzly customer service a call and see what they say.
    "The idea that "violence doesn't solve anything" is a historically untrue and immoral doctrine. Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. People that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms."

I have also had the G0555 for over a year and have no problems with it vibrating.

Chad

Wayne,

I too have no vibration. Something is clearly amiss with your unit. Give the Grizzley folks a call and they will help. If they can't correct it over the phone, they will make it right with a new unit or parts as needed. They've stood behind all the Griz machines I have.
    Kent Cori

Half a bubble off plumb

Thanks for the feedback. Here are my symptoms:

1. Motor running only: some vibration
    2. Motor running with belt and lower wheel: some vibration
    3. Motor and both lower and upper wheel with blade running: bad vibration

Therefore, I would deduce that it is either the upper bearing or the upper tire. I called Grizzly and they are sending me a new upper tire and upper bearing.

So far I'm unimpressed with the quality of the G0555, but am highly impressed with their customer support. Maybe these new parts will fix the vibration and change my attitude towards it.

I'm also going to purchase a PowerTwist Plus belt for it. Can anyone tell me if this is the right one?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...?v=glance&s=hi

Thanks,
    Wayne
    Last edited by Wayne Johnson; 07-12-2004 at 9:06 PM.

I think that after you get this problem worked out you will really enjoy the saw and I agree that the customer service is very good. I had to contact them several times while I was setting the saw up to use the 1 inch longer blades so I did not have to buy the blades from Grizzly. They may have changed this by now to the default as the tech told me that was the biggest complaint about the band saw.

Update

The replacement parts that Grizzly sent for my G0555 did not help the vibration. Spent several hours this weekend tinkering with it to try to find and get rid of the vibration including trying a PowerTwist link belt. Talked to grizzly customer support and told him what all I've done and he finally agreed to let me send it back for an exchange. Here's where it gets tricky. I have to ship this bandsaw back to them so that they can inspect it. Depending on if they find something wrong with it determines if I pay for the shipping or not. I'm not worried about this part because as soon as they turn it on they are going to see and feel the vibration. Here's the part that frustrates me... Since I ran a piece of wood through the machine, which is what you have to do on page 38 of the installation manual to check for blade lead, they normally just try to fix the problem and send me back the same machine. I'm sending it back to them because I am tired of fooling with it. Maybe it is just a mental thing, but I certainly do not want the SAME bandsaw sent back to me! He said that I *may* be able to exchange it for a different saw, but it depends on what they find.

Is it too much to ask that a brand new machine will work right out of the box?

This is starting to make me think that it is worth the extra money to buy locally.

Hmph... I'll keep you updated on how it turns out.

Good luck, Wayne. I kinda doubt they will spend much time to fiddle with it but you never know. I think it may be cheaper overall for them just to turn around and send you a new one ASAP and they "get to" the saw you just sent back, fix it, clean it up, and possibly sell it again. Who knows?

Just try to be patient...you are handling it the way you should.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Thumbs down Update: Grizzly loses a customer.

Last edited by Wayne Johnson; 07-27-2004 at 5:22 PM.