Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glue Stain on Table Saw Top

Glue Stain on Table Saw Top

I was using my table saw as an assembly table and using a sheet of butcher paper under the first glue up. When I removed the assembly and the butcher paper there was a dark stain on the cast iron TS top where the glue had squeezed out. Any ideas on removing this stain? Steel wool doesn't seem to touch it.

The best way to keep from getting stains and other "bruises" on your tools is to never use 'em. So maybe you could look at this stain as a "badge". No? Makes you gasp? Then try a bit of mineral spirits with your steel wool. If it doesn't work, you could just cover the whole top with glue which would make everything the same color again...
    David DeCristoforo

I use mineral spirits and the *red* scotch-brite abrasive pad in an old-fashioned orbital sander to polish out cast iron stains. Use clear plastic between the abrasive and sander pad! This make take a while but it works!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.

Sorry about the stain.

David has the solution.

I live with stains on my TS and dont give it a thought. It's my project that counts, not the tools that create them. I only care that I dont get stains on my projects.
    Now, I use my TS outfeed table for glue up and assembly. I started using butcher paper 25 years ago. I mount it under the outfeed table.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Retired, living and cruising full-time on my boat.
    Currently on the Little Tennessee River near Knoxville

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    WD-40 or mineral spirits and the grey Scotch-Brite is my preferred method.

I picked up a small vinyl covered table cloth from Hobby Lobby that I throw on my TS or bench whenever I’m doing finishing, glue-ups etc. The thing is darn near indestructible and was dirt cheap.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Thanks for the hints and comments. If I am unable to remove the stains from my SawStop I will consider them as a Badge of Progress!

Two sheets of butcher paper work great NNTAMHIKT (No Need To Ask Me How I Know That).

You only worry about rust not stains. Just keep the top clean and waxed. Pristeen tools belong in show rooms, not workshops.

Larry, Instead of using butcher paper, you might consider using waxed paper. The blue won't "leak" through and the glue won't stick to it.

I buy a role of this poly coated paper every 2-3 years

http://www.uline.com/BL_1957/Poly-Coated-Kraft

I'm afraid to ask if this is a serious discussion or you all are joking ?

Like Charles said - pretty tools belong on display - Kinda like if a bird poops on your car - **it happens
    Elvis isn't dead, he just went home Yes, I am a joker - Take it with a grain of salt

"... is a serious discussion or you all are joking ?"

Well, I was joking. Except the part about covering the whole saw top with glue. I was serious about that.....
    David DeCristoforo

Blog Entries
    If you get deep shadows and they bother you, Boeshield's Rust Free has removed anything I have ever worried about. I do have scars and badges of honor on my tools but that doesn't mean they have to look thrashed. I have the traditional Biesemeyer fence stripe and various signs of serious use but I draw the line at spills (BTW, that's what your bench is for) .

I'm sure quite a few of the Neanders would cringe at the idea of leaving a dark shadow across the face of their DT saw or their favorite smoother. Why should my jointer tables get any less respect .
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 02-17-2009 at 10:30 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Robertson View Post
    You only worry about rust not stains.
    Actually, I think the stains are just that - rust or corrosion from the moisture in the glue - much the same as leaving a spot of water on there for awhile. That being said, I just try to make sure all the stains on my TS make a pleasing and artistic display

I do, however, like the idea of the roll of paper. That is so fundamentally simple I can't believe it hasn't come up before. My outfeed table will have one of these soon!

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.

John

I buy the butcher paper at Sams Club.
    I also spray lacquer on a lazy susan in that same area. The paper covers the immediate area and my table saw. One roll will last a very long time.
    Retired, living and cruising full-time on my boat.
    Currently on the Little Tennessee River near Knoxville

15. cast iron is porous. The "stain" that you'll never remove is deeper than the surface. Hey it's a tool~!! If it weren't for using, it'd be useless. So use it.

If glue stains on your saw bother you put something down before doing glue ups on it. Cause it's going to happen.