Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glue Stain on Table Saw Top

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Bilello View Post
    I buy the butcher paper at Sams Club.
    I also spray lacquer on a lazy susan in that same area. The paper covers the immediate area and my table saw. One roll will last a very long time.
    Thanks, Tony! That will be on my next shopping list.

stains

I've used wax paper and still have gotten them, seems like anything too thin somehow causes a stain if it sits there a while, even if it is waterproof. I use the boeshield too and it definitely works well, got rid of a huge arm shaped stain I had two years ago when a sweaty neighbor leaned on it before I went on vacation. I can live with all the little stains, but I don't want the big oddball ones hanging around for the next 50 years, so the boeshield works well. The pump cap on it malfunctioned on mine though, which is fairly annoying with this caustic a substance.

Andy

Too funny.

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    The best way to keep from getting stains and other "bruises" on your tools is to never use 'em. So maybe you could look at this stain as a "badge". No? Makes you gasp? Then try a bit of mineral spirits with your steel wool. If it doesn't work, you could just cover the whole top with glue which would make everything the same color again...
    David,

That's got to be the best response of all time.

A few years ago I offered the house painters use of my extra long, decked out Little Giant. I had paid over $500 for it one night after watching an infomercial.

They were afraid they would get paint on it. I said 'please do', I'm embarrassed enough having paid that much for a ladder, it's worse that it looks like it's never been used.

jim

I did the same thing on my contractor saw a few years ago. I went at it with all kinds of chemicals and abrasives and they did nothing, it was too deep. I learned to live with it and it was a good reminder to not do glue ups on my TS top!! I do them on the kitchen table now during the colder months

I pick up old campaign signs, the 4x8 plastic ones. They are great to cover your assembly table with, and glue dosn't stick to it. stays where you put it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbert Wallace View Post
    I pick up old campaign signs, the 4x8 plastic ones. They are great to cover your assembly table with, and glue dosn't stick to it. stays where you put it too.
    was just about to post the same thing.

my stepsister has a sign/frame shop. i use the culls for putting all kinds of stuff on .

great for dividers between sheets of glass too.

Quote Originally Posted by larry cronkite View Post
    I was using my table saw as an assembly table and using a sheet of butcher paper under the first glue up. When I removed the assembly and the butcher paper there was a dark stain on the cast iron TS top where the glue had squeezed out. Any ideas on removing this stain? Steel wool doesn't seem to touch it.
    Try nail polish remover. The acetone in it will dissolve many things. Be careful with it.

While I respect badges of honor, a gleaming clean tablesaw top is a beautiful thing, so i don't blame ya for wanting to get it clean.

I've also had good luck grinding out all manner of blemishes and stains with an angle grinder and a wire cup.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Patel View Post
    Try nail polish remover. The acetone in it will dissolve many things. Be careful with it.

While I respect badges of honor, a gleaming clean tablesaw top is a beautiful thing, so i don't blame ya for wanting to get it clean.

I've also had good luck grinding out all manner of blemishes and stains with an angle grinder and a wire cup.

Stay away from my machined surfaces!!!!

Some 220grit, sure. A cup and grinder.....ill pass.

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.

Shawn.....

Your reply...."Try nail polish remover" is a little presumptious.
    Just because Larry wants a clean table saw surface does not imply he wears nail polish. LOL.
    Retired, living and cruising full-time on my boat.
    Currently on the Little Tennessee River near Knoxville

"..a gleaming clean tablesaw top is a beautiful thing, so i don't blame ya for wanting to get it clean..."

I would have to agree. However, if one feels this way then one should refrain from using their "gleaming clean, beautiful" machined cast iron surfaces as assembly tables in the first place. Just remember...you can have your cake or you can eat it....
    David DeCristoforo

I saw someone mention Boeshield Rust Free, so I thought I'd add that that stuff seems to make it's own stains. I don't use it anymore because I prefer the glue stains - more character.