Thread: Looking for plans or hardware for an adjustable piano bench

Looking for plans or hardware for an adjustable piano bench

I've seen pictures of these, but I've never seen one in person. These benches are rectangular and seem to have a knob on the side to adjust the seat height. I'd guess it's some kind of cam or scissor jack inside?

I don't know about a plan but it should be pretty straight forward. Find one you like and take measurements and build away. I did find an adjustable mechanism for you but you aren't going to like the price.

http://www.pianobenchesetc.com/store...roductid=18149

Thanks, and you're right, I don't like the price!

4. All I can say by looking at the link that Bob gave, is that it looks alot beefier then the lift in my wife's piano bench. My wife plays the piano professionally and we still haven't found a bench that she is happy with. At first the lifts seem solid but after using it for a few months they seem to loosen up and there is no way to tighten them up. I would seriously try to get the strongest lift you can afford. No piano player likes a bench that squeaks or moves as they are playing.

Stephan

I happen to have a Jansen, which is pretty much the Rolls-Royce of piano benches. They run about $800, if memory serves. If you want I can poke around under it and try to photograph the important bits.

This thing is a marvel of overbuilding. It feels like you could park a car on it.

It has no lid. Jansen just gives you a thick seat and a crank mechanism that adjusts the height.

Hey, this is funny. I just checked a well-known dealer. The site says, "Considered the Rolls Royce of benches, Jansen products have been manufactured in the USA with great care for over 60 years. They are 'Benchmakers' to Steinway, Baldwin & Kawai, because their exceptional quality begins with superior materials."

http://www.vandaking.com/jansen-duet-artist-bench-bn-1058.html
    Cry "Havoc," and let slip the dogs of bench.

I was socially distant before it was cool.

A little authority corrupts a lot.

Steve,
    Thanks- if you don't mind poking around and getting some pictures, I'd appreciate it.

You're in luck. The hardware is visible from the bottom. I just took photos. I didn't enjoy turning this thing over. It has to weigh 80 pounds.

I can try posting small versions of the photos here, or I can email you big ones. Let me know.

I'll put the small versions here. Maybe they'll do.

It looks like there are four rectangular rods running parallel to the bench's length, with one set under the seat and one set down below. A scissor mechanism makes the upper rods lift the seat.

The steel looks expensive.

Steve,
    Thanks a ton! Is that a "duet" bench or standard size?

That's the duet. The single seat bench is a gimmick for cheap suckers. Everyone who buys one regrets it.